Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pool under intake cause?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by woods, Dec 8, 2003.

1. woods

woods Registered Member

So me and my dad are switching the old egr-intake to a new 1-ton intake, and we see theres a pool of oil underneath the intake, what could be causing it. My dads thought is the seal on the timing cover ass. where the injection pump connects to the timing chain. Another other thoughts on what could be causing it, Also the whole front of the engine is covered in the oil, gonna power wash it to see if it's a valve cover.

Also was putting a new timing chain on and you should see the harmonic balancer, the rubber was pretty beat up dipping in and cracking out in a couple spots, pretty damn happy about catching that, and the timing chain had about 3/4 of play in it too, guessing it had about 80k+ miles on.

Woods

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am guessing it's the oil sender or the gasket is gone under the vacuum pump ??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Between the IP and the timing cover is just a paper gasket, you should have got a new one with the intake set...I did.

Could be valve covers too, which are a pain in the butt unless you're already swapping in a new injector pump.

Rene