Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure and leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I just got done putting the top end of my 350 together. I got the heads redone where needed, replaced my leaky head gasket, and put in my new Compcam 4x4 along with the coresponding lifters. (the cam is awsemoe by the way. Feel free to ask my any questions about it.)Everything is running great except for one problem. The oil leak. It is comeing from the back top of the engine. It runs down the transmission and drips off the bottem of the tranny. (It is not tranny fluid) Valve cover gaskets seem to be good, and I replaced the oil pressure sending unit? Any other suggestions? Any bolt holes on the block that have to have screws in them that I may have missed? Also, my oil pressure guage is reading a little low. When the oil is still cold it gets up around 45-50 psi even at low rpm. After it warms up the oil pressure is fine at lower rpms, but when I get on the highway it reads around 20 psi at 3000 rpm. In other words, my rpms dont seem to effect the oil pressure as much as they should. (This is not new since the rebuild of the top end.) Is this the symptoms of a oil pump going out? If so, where should I get a knew one from? Prices and quality? Could it just be an inaccurate guage even if I replaced the sending unit? Help me out if ya can. Thanks

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

the back of the intake manifold has a gasket that runs from side to side...these are prone to blowing out.. I use rtv from one side to the other. also rear main seal??? as for your oil pressure I wish mine would go over 30 pounds cold and when the motors been running for good hour I'll have 20 at highway speed and 10 at Idle.....thats low.....js

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Well guess what, I dont know what the oil leak was for sure yet. I think it was the rear main seal, but since I have to replace the fly wheel I already took my tranny and tcase off. I will just replace the seal tomorrow while it is all off. This is the first time I have done that on my truck. The NP 203 is alot heavier than any other T case I have messed with before! I also bought a high volume oil pump. Is a high volume bad with my relatively stock moter? Let me know. Thanks.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5