Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure doubts

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, Jul 23, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    My oil pressure gauge pointer,only marks 2 ,the mark between the 0 and 4.The oil pressure sender is new,(AcDelco).I think the gauge is in good shape,if i remove the harnnes the pointer goes to 8(max), If grounded it ,the pointer goes to 0(min).What is the usual pressure in the gauge for the 6.2?Mine only says 2(i don,t now if it isKg/cm2,bar,or other presssure unit..)in any r.p.m,at idle or high speed,it ever marks 2. Thanks.

2. Guest66

Guest66 Registered Member

On my 84 stock 6.2 the oil pressure is at 45 with 80 being the max, its around that in idle and when im driving, it doesnt change much

3. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Mine only has 20,in any R.P.M. I,m sick.Yesterday i cheked it,with a mechanic oil pressure gauge,wich i built it myself from a old lorry truck pressure gauge,it goes to 30 in idle and 50 in the maximun R.p.m,but i don,t know if this gauge is reliable.Tomorrow i,ll try to check it with a good gauge.I hope the only trouble will be the oil pump....

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Mine's at 45 too.. does it climb slowly to 20 and then stop? or does it jump to 20 and thats it? Could be in the wiring to the gauge, your test reading with the home-made set upp sounds like it's getting normal pressure though..

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

5. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

I think the wire is good. If i remove it from the sender the pointer goes to the max.If i connect it to the ground the pointer goes to the min.Tomorrow i,ll try to check the sender ,the gauge and the engine pressure. We talk soon.

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

There was a discussion about this very subject not long ago I think in the regular 4x4 Blazer board. These senders are notorious for going bad. For some reason they are cheap and no one wants to make a reliable one. Aftermarket and original equipment senders are known to go bad quickly. One fellow did say that the original GM replacement he bought seemed to last the longest(knock on wood). I am having the same problem you are having which leads me to believe the sender is bad. It's a cheap fix to replace it, but if you don't want this to happen again, a viable alternative is to get a quality mechanical gauge. With a mechanical gauge you'll have no senders to go bad or wires to ground out by accident. Only problem is you have to run the oil line into the cab to the gauge(the line may or may not be included with the gauge), but it will register all the time and eliminate the possibility of the situation "electric gauge shows oil pressure when you actually have none".
    Do you still need that temp sensor part number? I forgot all about it.

7. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

No,thanks any way,i,ve got a temp sensor days ago.I already have replaced it.You say the aftermarker senders are bad,mine is an ACDelco sender,it is the original part,no? However I ,ve made the following check:
    I have put the oil pressure sender in de out ,of my other car brake pump,where is munted the lines to the wheells calipers.Well, i,ve connected it to the Blazer gauge with two long wires,and i,ve put a friend looking at the Blazer gauge.Then i,ve steped the brake pedal slowly,and the pointer in the gauge hasn,t passed to 25,when a car brake pressure is very higger than engine oil pressure.Yes, it could be the sender....But if it,s new!!