Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pressure fluctutation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigcat44, Apr 16, 2005.

1. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Last night on the highway with my 89K5 my oil press gauge dropped completely to 0psi. I quickly pulled over and based on past experiences figured out I probably have a bad sending unit. About a week earlier I noticed my gauge would fluctuate from very high to normal range and move based on engine RPMs but every so often would be very high. I am not getting any "dummy" lights in the rig and it's running great, no crazy sounds or abnormalities anywhere. Am I missing anything? I am going to check all of my connections today but what parts should I be replacing? I looked for an Oil Press Sending Unit through both AZ and Napa and couldn't find the part listed. Also as a peace of mind type thing I am looking to replace the oil pump with a high volume one from AZ, Pn# 10550 or do you have some better recommendations? Thanks for the help in advance!
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Nov 1, 2004
    most likly the sender and or a wire. and thay should have one at the store. run you about 20 bucks or so. got one for my old truck only cause it leaked and gained about 10 psi on the gauge. wow .