Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pressure gauge all connected *PICS ADDED**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Sep 22, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

On my '84 Blazer. Im wanting to keep factory oil pressure gauge and hook up my autometer one. I seen there was 2 spots on the engine that have sending units. One is on the block on the pass. side very close to the starter. The other one is behind the engine up top near the distributor. Are both these oil pressure? Which one should I "T" into with my sending unit?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the one by the dizzy will be pressure....

the one in front of the starter is a knock sensor...

the other port available for oil pressure on most SB's is right above the oil filter boss on the driverside...

Not sure why you'd want both, but knock yourself out... :wink1:

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Thanks.

Well, I dont like having dead gauges in my dash. One day ill redo the dash and only have aftermarket ones in there. But that day is along way aways. I dont really trust factory gauges and I had these AutoMeters laying around and figure ill make good use of them. Plus gauges look cool. ;)

Ill actually look for the one above the oilfilter like ya said, that would make it easier , instead of using a bunch of hardware to build up to sending units.

4. ryoken

yup, thats the port I use..

Wanna say it's 1/8 NPT, but it may be 1/4....

I here ya on good gauges... I love my AM Pro Comps and all the info...

Plan on finishing off the dash and hood with an fuel/air and vacuum at X-mas time..

I'm researching building my own fuel/air meter in bar form for the rightside of my dash if it doesn't turn out to be too psycho to do......

[​IMG]

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Dash looks good, now if you could find that elusive horn button cover for the steering wheel. hehehehe

6. ryoken

Can't tell how ya many times I've run around without one... Fix a tilt, etc, never finish putting it back together... Heck I drove the truck around daily for 2 months a couple winters ago with no dash at all while I built that... :haha:

Besides, I just yell at people... :eek1: :wink1:

7. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Here are my gauges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for blurred pics. I didnt wanna touch too much inside I was still all grimed up from installing the sending unit.

Also I went above the oilfilter and there was another sending unit there. I jus used some brass fittings and made a "T" Its not too bad. Jus hope it can handle off roading, etc.

Anyone know what that sending unit does above the oil filter?

8. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

can you post a pic of that line going to just above the filter? i dont know what it looks like and i have to do this too. i would really like to not go behind the dist. and disturb my stock ones sort of as a backup to the backup or whatever

9. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Ill have to get some pics later on. Went down to check for leaks and one of the fittings is leaking. I had my suspicions when I installed it as it screwed down all the way and didnt really get tight. I went and checked and sure enuff it was seaping out. So, I yanked it all off. lol. Ill have to figure out something else, etc. The one problem is because of all the clearance with the bell housing and headers, you have to assemble this T setup on the truck, no way to pre- assemble and jus screw it on. If I can find out what that sensor down there does, I may jus eliminate it altogether.

Stay tuned........................

10. ryoken

iirc, that one is the pressure switch and the one by the dizzy is low oil fuel cutoff... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. It was on my 87..

I run a tight T on that bottom one because I have pressure and temp.. Remember just a bit of pipe dope, etc on the threads, no teflon type for electric senders...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  11. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Well this has been interesting. I disco'd the sending unit at the bottom, near the oil filter. This is NOT oil pressure. It has to do with the CHOKE. Dunno how or why, but when I disco'd it, the choke light was on and the truck wouldnt come off of 1300rpm. Soooooooo, dunno what to say about that. I ended up T-ing it again. Got some good sealant and everything is good. There is a slight diff. from the pressure from the factory gauge (which the sending unit is up by the dizzy) and the pressure im getting down at the oil filter. So dunno if that is good or bad or which one is more important. I would figure the one up high is, cuz that means oil is getting pumped up. So anyways. Here is the T connections. This is me laying on my back shooting straight up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top sending unit looks closer to the header than what it really is. I can actually jus turn it and move it a lil ways away.

All that black isnt oil, its the thread sealant that I used.

so far no leaks. lol

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006