Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pressure Gauge problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When I turn my key into the on position (without starting the truck) the oil pressure gauge shoots to 60+ even though it has no oil pressure. When the truck is running it still is at 60+, so anytime the key is on it reads 60+. Does anyone know what is wrong or what my problem might be? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Harley

2. unsane

unsane Guest

Sounds like maybe a bad ground? Anyone else?

3. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

Take the wire off the sending unit and turn on the key. If the gauge goes to 60+ then the wire from the gauge to the sending unit is shorted to ground. If it doesn't then i would change the sending unit.

4. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

It has too much oil in it. Drain some out. Just Kidding!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I agree with the bad ground.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Where exactly is the sending unit for the oil presure gauge? I have heard that there are 2 on some trucks. Which one (if there is 2) should I check. Motor is GM crate 350. I have heard it is on the drivers side head somewhere. Thanks

Harley

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Harley,

The oil press. sender on mine is on the very back part of the block on the drivers side just above the oil fliter....that is the only one I know of on my engine...THe BBC I am building has the oil sender on the front drivers side of the block...but that engine is f'd up; it has 3 temp senders...I would check for the ground issue...I had that problem earlier this fall...

Chris

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The sender is typically next to the distributor, drivers side, a big "bell" shaped piece. One wire to the top of it.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

in what year ? '77-up electric, 76-down hydraulic tube operated

9. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I have a similar problem in my '87 blazer except that even with the key off the needle is as far to the right as it will go. Is this a possible ground or is the gauge bad? I allready replaced the sending unit with no result.
    -Kell-

10. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

Is the sender you're talking about go into the block right below the header? Also, what is an ideal oil pressure for a 305?