Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pressure Gauge Tops out on startup..........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 13, 2002.

I have an 84 K20 and when I start it up the oil pressure gauge goes from zero to maxed out after a second or two of running. What's going on? Any help would be great. Thanks

1. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I just got an 84 K5 and the same happens. I know mine needs an oil change, but first things first... had to get the lift installed! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I guess if the oil were too thick the pressure would go up? or perhaps the sending units have a common failure? I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

Evry thing is ok!!!
    u just have good oil pressure!!!
    If u'r still not sure just put a aftermarket pressure gage to see what the reading is(the stock ones max out at 60 psi i think the aftermarket ones max out at 100 or higher)
    The one in my car was a aftermarket type and wen the engine was cold (below freezing)the pressure was between 80 and 100 psi(81 oldsmobile 305 new high pressure high volume pump whit 5w30 oil)until it warmed up a bit.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

My 350 with a high volume oil pump runs about 80 psi at startup. It depends on the brand of guage as to how high it goes. I have a cheap (harbor freight) guage and it only goes to 80 but a better quality one (sunpro, etc.) will probably go higher.