Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pressure gauge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larsfrog, Jul 7, 2004.

1. larsfrog

larsfrog Registered Member

The oil pressure gauge on my 86 K5 (305) is always beyond the highest pressure reading. I have no mechanical problems but it does worry me because if I do have a problem I would not know due to the gauge reading being inaccurate. Wondering what the problem may be (bad gauge, bad oil pump, electrical problem?). Any insight or previous experiences would be great.

2. sparkmite

sparkmite Newbie

If the motor's not original, I would suspect you have the wrong sending unit.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I had to change my sending unit and my gage. I would try sending unit first. Go to your local junkyard and pick up a gage /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

If either your gauge or your sending unit were replaced they may be imcompatable.

Remove your sending unit and hook up a mechanical oil pressure test gauge and check both cold and hot conditions so you have a baseline to go from.

Also, I never rely on stock gauges anyway. I install a set of aftermarket gauges from a repetable company. I use Autometer myself.

http://hp.autometer.com/products/sport_comp/electric_gauges/electric_gauges.html /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif