Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pressure guage and tach

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big GMC truck, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

1984 GMC truck K1500 305
    I'm about to buy a tach and oil pressure guage for my truck. After doing research, I think I understand the installation process. Please tell me if I'm heading in the right direction. The pressure guage I'm going to buy is electrical, so it should come with an electrical sender that threads into the intake manifold by the dist., right? For the tach, where to I get the rpm signal. Is there some place on the ignition coil that gives a rpm signal? Thanks for the help.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hei...

On your HEI distributor cap,there is a "Tach" terminal,located near the big red 12V power wire..thats where the tach wire goes to...:crazy:

3. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

if you're like me and are gonna buy a cheap pos oil pressure guage, i would just get a quality one, the damn needle bounces all over the place on the el cheapo one

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the oil pressure passage is actually right behind the intake on top of the block.. 1/8 NPT

as Deisel pointed out, Hei will have a spot on the cap for tach..if non-hei, negative side of the coil is where you go..

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

as you already stated and others agreed....

oil goes next to the distributor.... and it isnt in the intake though.. I just removed my intake and the oil sender unit stayed... I also had 2 different spots I noticed for it.....

also tach... yes you just get a tach... red = to ignition (not battery as mine is hooked that way and just found my battery draw draining my system.. yup the tach) ... black = ground and usually green is what they use for the tach wire... that goes right to your distributor... if you look ontop of the cap.. it will say... Tach.... so that will go there :wink1:

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

oh yeah also if ya wanna keep it cheap....

you can goto car-part.com and check (but posting this many will go search and buy it so hurry up) and look for the factory tach, cluster unit.... where I used to have a big gas gauge I have a 5k tach now.... LOVE IT...

I got mine to my door for like $25 for a factory tach unit :bow: