Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure idiot light

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4_76, Jan 28, 2003.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Long time since my last visit/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Question is,I have oil pressure light installed on my dash,and I have some sort of switch beside oil pressure gauge sensor.I don't remember that in what pressure it activates the light,so I need to know what is the pressure when I need to shut down engine before anything brokes.
    Now that light starts flashing when engine is warm,and I've been driving about 10-15 miles at 80 mph.But as soon as the engine cools a bit,light stops flashing.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If the light flashes I would suspect either oil level is low, or you oil filter is clogged. Check the oil.

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I was going to change the oil and filter anyway,next Thursday,so we'll see what happens.

4. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    I think 1-2 kg at iddle,with the oil hot,is the minimun pressure for the correct oil circuit work.Under this pressure is when the light must to shine.

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I changed the oil and the filter yesterday,but the light still flashes,BUT only when I brake harder than normally.
    Pressure gauge reads about 20 at idle.I guess I have pressure switch that activates the light on too high of a pressure.
    Does some models have light instead of a gauge from factory?If so,anyone know the psi setting on those?

6. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Problem solved /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I installed oil cooler hoses,and that flashing stopped.Gauge has same readings like before.Also,I had sharp knocking sound,that seems to vanish after the hose install.
    Still have no oil cooler,but I'm working on it.I had those cooler passages plugged because I was told that it won't hurt the engine if done so,but I think that it's safer to have at least hose loop that connects those passages.