Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL pressure oddity *I'm an idiot...Oil not fuel*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Ok, I changed the oil/filter today. Took it in and had the transmission fluid flushed, and I also changed the front/rear diff fluid. Drove the truck about 10 miles on the highway, then pulled off and was going through stop signs. I noticed the *OIL* pressure was at the 30 bar and as I accelerated, it would boost steadily with the throttle to above the 60 bar and drop down when the transmission shifted. I pulled over. When parked, the oil pressure was still doing it. In reverse I didn't notice it, but if I drove forward, however, it would do it again. There was a odd almost ticking noise from the passenger lower side of the motor...roller? It was from below the compressor.

What is the cause of this? 5mins later it was driving fine and the oil pressure sat at around the 45 bar. Is this a sign that the oil pump is going out? I thought a faulty oil pump would cause a drop in oil pressure. The oil level is fine, and oil is new...I'm stumped. Oh, another thing...the speedometer was flickering at around 10mph when it was doing this.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  2. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

b b bump

3. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Well if your seeing fault in other gauges as well, I would assume it has something to do with the cluster. Maybe you need a new printed circuit? Check the other gauges for fault also.

4. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Good point. I'm actually working on obtaining a gauge cluster locally for ~50. Reasonable? The temp gauge on my truck is also not working, and I replaced the temperature sensor (TBI) and the temperature sender (gauge). After researching a bit, I'm also now wondering if my oil temp sender could be tripping out. I'll work on the gauge cluster for now.

Any other thoughts?

5. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Yes thats a pretty good price. Just make sure it comes with everything and will work for your year. If it is the orignal oil sender then its possible that it needs to be replaced, I would look into that also.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had a oil sender that worked o.k. but ozzed oil. replaced it and gained almost 10lbs oil pressure. old one was bad.

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a short. I had a problem w/my spedo too, it would bounce all over the place and I found a wire in the eng compartment on the firewall was shorting out. I know not much help but it's somethen..