Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure poll: please take sec and answer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am taking a poll just out of curiousity /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif to see what everyones oil pressure avaerages at idle. This poll is meant for rigs running small block V8's.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1055565455Okiemuddog">

Oil pressure at idle:

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />0-10
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />11-20
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />21-30
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />31-40
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />41-50
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="6" />51-60
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="7" />60+
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Thanks for the answers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Just to let you know, my engine has about 6,000 miles on it and I run about 30-35 PSI at idle when warm. Gage maxes out when cold...

3. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

I have a question~&gt; I have about 30K on a 350 GM crate motor, and at idle the pressure drops between 5 and 10lbs, and averages 25 to 30 when I am working it.

I was thinking of swapping out the pump, I really don't like seeing it that at idle. Any thoughts on this?

~ Russ

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i was always told if it was too low your motor would b burning up, if it stays at one certain level its fine...just watch for drastic changes...thats when u get worried

i mean if it stays on 5 forever but doesnt move, and engine is fine...then whats the prob right?

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

as a rule of thumb, you should have 10psi for every thousand rpms you run. therefor 10 psi at an idle is acceptable. if you redline at 5000, you should max out at 50 psi. going over this wil only cause more friction in your motor to turn a high volume pump which you dont need. if your truck maxes out at 30 i would take it over 3000 rpms except in short bursts.

6. Sinful_Nature

Once and awhile it drops below 5 but in general stays pretty consistent. On a personal level though I always thought it should be higher at idle. Safer perhaps...

Hey thanks for the info bigblock, suppose I should get a tach hook up and see what she's running at.

~ Russ

7. bigblock44k5

no prob, these are guidelines for a fresh motor putting out a decent amount of power to keep it from destroying itself. in a stock motor with less power it wont kill itslef as fast, but you could use some 20w-50 motor oil to prolong it and keep it quiet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. Sinful_Nature

Already have the 20-50 in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My motor is pretty fresh with stock cam and heads, everything else is aftermarket, so it takes a little abuse.

9. bigblock44k5

doesnt sound too good if the motor is fresh but has 5 or less at an idle. did you rebuild it? if not they might have scammed you.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Sinful_Nature

I bought it from my local GM dealer, in crate and all. But that doesn't mean I didn't get scammed. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Other the Pressure it runs great.

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

SBC's generally run low on the oil pressure. Those numbers really aren't all that uncommon. I ran Pontiacs for a long time, and after installing a pressure gauge on my first Chevy, I thought something was wrong too.

Stock ratings between the two is like 30 psi....

I would like more pressure at idle than 5 psi, but if the motor is happy with it....

12. bigblock44k5

they dont usually run THAT low.

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

FWIW, my 454 that was just rebuilt, has around 25 at idle and 75 when it gets above 2000rpm...it never goes above 75 b/c that is what the relief spring is in my pump... Oh an that is with 10w30...when cold it is 75 ad idle and then slowly coms down to 25 once at temp...

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Before you worry too much I would recommend swapping in a new oil sender. My oil pressure was reading low but after hooking up a gauge in place of the sender I realized that my sender wasn't working properly and wasn't relaying my oil pressure accurately. A new sender fixed that.

Just my 2 cents, brother.

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I know you asked for small block info-

But on my big block it pegs the 60PSI gauge when it's cold. When hot, probably 35-45PSI.Running 10-40 I think. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a question~&gt; I have about 30K on a 350 GM crate motor, and at idle the pressure drops between 5 and 10lbs, and averages 25 to 30 when I am working it.

I was thinking of swapping out the pump, I really don't like seeing it that at idle. Any thoughts on this?

~ Russ

[/ QUOTE ] Try a thicker oil like 20/50.