Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pressure problems in my 454

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my 454 has always had great oil pressure, always extending well off of the gauge, and burying the needle into some uninhabited region of nowhere... of course, the problem with this, is its so high, the rocker oilers don't buble oil on them like they should, they shoot oil as hard, and as far as they can, which means no oil hits the rockers, and that which does by the off chance, quickly flash burns. anyone have a solution to this problem? would welding a piece of narrow angle iron into the covers to act as a splash guard work? ( or, since I have a 454 with offset valves, lots of little pieces of angle iron... ) or is there a better way to make sure my rockers stay nice and oiled/cool? do roller rockers have a better oiler setup on them? or am I just looking at the same basic problem?

thankyou in advance,

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Have you tried looking for new vavle covers from Summit Racing. See if they have any with the oil drippers. I'm having an oiling problem with the 396 in my Chevelle too. My oil pressure used to always read 10lbs per 1000rpm, now it always reads 70lbs all the time and I'm starting to get a knocking sound.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

mine isn't knocking, its just burning a quart of oil on the cheap stamped out rocker arms every 1500 miles or so... not bad for an old truck, but unacceptable for a 20,000 mile old engine..

I checked at Lopers high performance today... they don't cary them, but I bet someone does... I can't be the only one running a hi volume oil pump, yanno... oh well, I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

check out jegs and/or summit racings webpage or call them and ask them
    if they have OIL DEFLECTORS for a b.b.c. its just a small clip that hooks onto the rocker arm nut and deflects the oil down onto the rocker arms.ask if they have ones that mount permanently and not just the ones used to adjust the valves then taken off.i havent seen them in a long time,but i know someone makes them.
    goodluck

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"