Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pressure question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Oct 29, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

im 99.9% sure my oil pressure guage craped out and my pumps fine. driving home yesterday i looked down at my gagues and say 0psi on the oil pressure, so i pulled right over checked the dipstick that was fine then opened up the oil fill in the valve cover and saw that i had plenty of cool clean oil up there, so i drove home on the way there i would get readings from 0-10psi on the gague pulled the valve cover off and everytihg was soaked in oil like it should be. when i took it out this morning the gague went to 30 psi then at an unknown point went back to nothing. anyway just wondering what everyone thinks and was wondering where the sending unit for the gague is and how i can test if the gague is bad or the sending unit. by the way its an 85k5 originally 305 converted to a new 350 14k miles ago truck has 98k on it if that helps

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I'd say it was the sending unit.

On a stock 350, I believe it's at the back of the right head. But may very from apllication to application.

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>It does sound like the sending unit as well. Try checking on the intake by the distributor? On the driver's side. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Another vote for mechanical gages.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Keep an eye on your temp guage. As long as your temp is normal you should have pressure.I had the same thing happen to me one day. Very scary feeling.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

YEP! Sounds like the sending unit..had the same thing happen to me...hehehe...When I was buying the rig I noticed the leak...told the girl to have it looked at and see what it was and what it would be to fix...well..the shop told her it was the rear main seal..and would be $400 plus to fix... She dropped the price so damn low I couldnt say no.
    BTW How would I go about insatlling an Idiot light just for added insurance???

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I had a reputable engine builder tell me DO NOT rely on your stock gauges. GO out and spend a lilttle money on a good set like Autometer so you know what is going on. Although sometimes you do run across the occassional bad apple from any company( I did with my first Autometer oil pressure gauge)
    It is better to spend $35 now then around $100 for a rebuild!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com