Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pressure / RPM

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Feb 22, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

The oil pressure gauge on my 85 K5 is moving a lot. Normally the gauge sits at 30 (12 o'clock position) and moves slightly when I rev the motor. Today, it's sitting at 60 (off the scale basically) drops very slightly when warmed up, then as I'm driving it totally goes off the scale, and then acts like a rev/ RPM counter as I drive along, idling it'll maybe drop to 50...Is my motor going to blow up or what, it had an oil change about 1,000 miles ago, and the oil level is fine...what's up????

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the sending unit is going kinda crazy. If its an electronic gauge, thats probably it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Don't put any value into the factory gauges, they move in the corresponding direction only. The only gauge I trust is my mechanical. Also for a rule of thumb 10psi. for every 1,000RPM. My freshly rebuilt motor makes 25psi sitting at a stop light, fully warmed up on a hot day.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???