Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure saftey switch circuit to cut ign?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Sep 20, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Anyone out there happen to have a schematic for an oil pressure safety circuit to cut ignition on low press? I'm starting to offroad now and would like some safety margin on hill climbs to cut ignition if I loose pressure.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A better idea IMO might be to put a "T" fitting in install a oil pressure warning switch and have a obvious light come on or even a warning buzzer in addition to the gauge. I did that in my '82 and is one of the things on my list now.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

T fitting and light ok

Good points, I'll go for a bright idiot light in addition to the gauge. Thanks.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Anyone have the reverse answer to this...how to take a system with the oil presure switch and eliminate it? I am doing a TBI swap and it had that system in place...I figure I lived this long without it, and the lions back comparison makes me think an oil accumulator would be a better answer to address the oil pressure issue.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It's been a while but if I remember correctly it's the fuel pump that's shut off, not the ignition.

I did 2 tbi to carb swaps using the OE fuel pump. I found the wire for the pump (tan w/ black stripe @ firewall block - double check that) and just cut and redirected it to an ignition hot from the fuse box. Both trucks ran fine with no problems long term.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oil pressure switch has nothing to do with the fuel pump shutting off. Oil pressure switch in FI apps is there SOLELY to run the pump if the fuel pump relay fails, it's a (worthwhile) failsafe for the fuel pump.

9. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

If you cut the ignition while climbing a hill, wouldn't that be really bad because of the loss of power steering and brakes?
    Why not get a baffled oil pan, and/or one of those oil pumps with the swinging pickup (I have no idea if these two are compatable) I'm pretty sure you could change them w/o pulling the engine

Wouldn't you only lose oil pressure climbing if you were climbing in reverse anyway?