Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure sender leak?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Fubeca, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

My new-to-me truck has an oil leak at the back of the motor on the driver's side. I've felt up there and it seems to be coming from the where the fitting for the oil pressure sender screws into the block. I pulled it out (a royal pain in the butt - thanks GM engineers :rolleyes: ) but i can't get it tight - when it is in the right orientation for the sender to screw in - the fitting isn't tight. But I can't get it turned another full turn. I put it back together with some teflon thread sealer - but it is still leaking a fair amount.

Any ideas? There isn't anything else up there that could be leaking is there?

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

what engine, what truck?

this is improbable, but i know the vortec motors are notorious for leaking back there at the intake gasket.

you try thoroughly degreasing the area then watching it meticulously?

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

1984 Chevy C20 6.2L diesel - definately not the intake.

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

That was the problem on my 454 - but the oil sender is fine on this one - and it isn't leaking where the sender screws into the fitting. It seems to be coming from where the fitting screws into the block. I just can't seem to get the fitting tight though because it has to be pointing up for the sender the be able to fit back there.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

No - I just can't seem to get it turned another full rotation. I'm going to pull it back out and try teflon tape instead of the teflon paste, maybe that will help.