Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure sending unit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dogdaysunrise, Feb 26, 2006.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I was reading through all the posts on here, and they all say that the oil pressure sending unit is just to the right of the dizzy. My question is this, I was flipping through my haynes book and it says it is located down by the oil filter. Is the location diffrent on my block? It is a 92 tbi in an obs truck. Or is that a sender for something else?

2. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

You can use either port for oil pressure. Mine is not stock, but the one by the oil filter goes to a manuel aftermarket gauge. And the one by the dist. goes to the computer/fuelpump relay that shuts down the fuelpump when the engine loses oil pressure.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

On my 84, the oil pressure sensor down by the filter is hooked into the cutoff system, and the sender by the distributor is for the factory gauge.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

My 87 305 TBI has the upper sender for the fuel pump cut off, and the one just above the oil filter goes to the gauge in the dash

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As you can gather by the posts, location was different based on application.

I'd be surprised if your '92 doesn't use the integrated sender/switch like I've got, 3 wires. Trucks started using it at some point, the '91 454 V3500 I took apart had it. May have started use in 1989 or so, you'd have to verify against the wiring manuals. Does your Haynes show the wiring? (typically the Haynes wiring manuals are too generic, but in this case it may be ok)

6. dogdaysunrise

well I am going to add a mechanical oil pressure gauge probably either later on today, or sometime tomorrow. I will have to look in the book and check for wiring. The exsisting gauge is electrical. I actually havent gotten the energy yet to go lay in the snow under the truck (neon with half the motor ripped apart in the garage, dont ask) and take a look. Maybe later today.

7. dogdaysunrise

okay I just took look. I have the 3 wire unit like you had said Dorian. There is a threaded hole about 3 inches above the oil filter with nothing in it. Would this be where to hook up the oil pressure gauge? I am going to go take a picture of it in a second.

----- EDIT -----
    Here are the pictures, sorry kinda bad angle.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

8. dyeager535

Standard block, yes everyone knows what/where that is.

You can use this, as stated, GM did in some applications. You say nothing in it, but I assume there is at least a plug in it!

In my experience that is not the same 1/8" thread that the upper one is, it's larger. Also, because of the casting, you can't thread a sender directly into it, so you'd have to use an extension. All sorts of problems with that and headers, at least in my case. If it's just a barb fitting you are installing, if it will fit, it will work. :)

9. dogdaysunrise

It uses a compression sleeve fitting to a nylon hose and comes with all sorts of adapters for diffrent sizes. If I just thread this into the block will it read accuratly? or will I need to get something to actually go deeper into the casting?

10. dyeager535

Those are hard to tell what I'm looking at..drivers side of engine from the rear, right?

The hole with the plug in it is the one you want, I *think*, if it was from the angle I always see mine from, it is directly above the oil filter mounting pad.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Same as my 83 . If I unplug the sender , the choke light stays on .

12. dogdaysunrise

yea your right on the picture location. That would be what you are looking at. Good to know. Im gonna try and thread it straight to the block and see how it does.

13. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

does the sending unit in question by the oil filter by chance look kind of like a fuel filter with 1 connection coming off the end. im trying to figure out where the problem is with my oil pressure gauge, its pinned all the time. would running a high volume oil pump cause a problem?

14. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Do you know for a fact that you have the correct sender for your gauge?

15. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine does

16. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

yes, it worked fine before it was stuck, then it just stuck to 100+ psi one day

i bought replacement sending units and replaced the one behind the distributor and it didnt help at all, i couldnt figure out if there was a 2nd one that might be causing it. should i try replacing that one above the earl filter or should i be ripping apart my dashboard?

17. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

was just messing with mine today, no signal = 3 oclock position... hope that helps

18. dyeager535

If the gauge moves when you disconnect the sender, then ground it, it's likely it is only the sender that is the issue. If that doesn't do anything, you've more than likely got a wiring or gauge issue.

19. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

the one by the filter is the switch for the computer and engine cut off, its a safety basically to keep you from starting it with low or no pressure
    if they are working right anyways

the sender for the dash guage/light is just behind the distrib

noobs

looking in a haynes is the first mistake

good luck