Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure sending unit ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coyle13, Jun 17, 2003.

1. coyle13

coyle13 Registered Member

Hey there,
    Brand new to Blazers. I always played with IHC's, but the wife wanted something that didn't require a tetnus shot to ride in. I always thought rust holes added character.
    Anyhow, I have a '91 Blazer with a goofy oil gauge reading. It jumps to 60+ psi when I accelerate, and it never seems to read correctly, low or high. I bought a new sending unit from NAPA, but I couldn't find the old one to replace it. Haynes manuals didn't even mention the sending unit. So, can anyone lend a newbie a hand?
    Also, where can I buy a factory service manual. I need to be in the know!
    Thanks

2. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

on my 78 with an electrical gauge, the sending unit is located just to right of the distributer on the manifold right at the back. I would think it would be in the same place on a 91, but not sure.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

FWIW my 350 usually runs at 60 psi when I'm on it. The oil sender is just above the oil filter. It kinda looks like a weird spark plug with a wire going to it. As for the service manual, check out ebay. You can use that Haynes manual wipe yer @$$ since that about the only thing it's useful for... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Oh, Steve's is in a different place, my 350 is a 84.

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I think yours will have both of them. My 88 did. It had one sender by the dist. for the computer and the one for the gauge was down near the filter.

6. rdwest1369

rdwest1369 Registered Member

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

The one you've got is about the size of a shot glass, right? About $25? Plated with a spade terminal on the top?

If so, it goes back by the distributor. It is "conveniently" located behind the cruise control bracket. I can't picture you replacing it without removing the distributor cap.

You can see it on my motor on the engine stand. It's the thing pointed off on a 45° fitting.
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/newmotor-030402/newmotor4.jpg

9. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

yeah that is where it is. Its a &%$# to install. the aftermarket one I got doesnt even fit it's too big /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

10. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

You might need the oil pressure relay. That is the part that is right above your oil filter. My gauge did not work at all on my '87 and then it sprung a major leak. Replaced the relay to fix the leak and it also fixed the gauge. Pressure still goes up and down with rpms though.

11. coyle13

O.K.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check the spots recomended and see it the new sender does the job.

Thanks again.

12. coyle13

Well, the one NAPA sold me looked alot like the V.S.S. It was smaller than the one in your picture. It must be the one that is behind the oil filter. I will give it a look.
    Thanks

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

hmm

Are you sure they gave you the one for the gauge and not the idiot light? The idiot light one is about 1/3 of the size.

14. coyle13

Nope. Not sure. I will take a look at both spots tonight and see what is up.
    Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Sdavid,
    Did your oil pressure gauge read funny or did it just stay at zero? if it did read funny it didnt just stay pegged all the time did it? Thats the problem Im having.
    -Kell-

16. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Mine would dance around when I first cranked it and then just bottom out and stay there.

17. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i just replaced mine when i rubuilt my motor two months back. mine is an 87, so urs should be above the oil filter. mine also stands @ 60 when im on it and its just below op temp. after op temp, it usually rides back down to 45 and dances with the throttle. but, i dunno, urs could be diff. they made a good amount of changes between 87 and 91. or at least i think so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif