Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pressure sensor...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, Feb 5, 2005.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

can anybody give me, in close detail where the oil pressure sensor is on the 6.2. My guage only reads like 20psi on a good day, none at all most of the time. any clues?

2. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

it is at the back of the motor. mine has low pressure at low rpm's and mid 30's at highway speeds. i think i just have a cheap gauge because i have a new oil pump.

3. savagek5diesel

is it visible from the top of the motor? Driver's side or passenger side?

4. DieselSub

DieselSub Registered Member

Open the hood and pull off the air cleaner and air cleaner housing (to make things easier to see)

From the front of the truck, looking towards the back over the engine, look at the last intake runner on the intake manifold (furthest back on the right). Just past the last intake runner youll see a piece of electonics bolted to the engine block with a plug and two red wires (thats your glow plug controller) Just past that the engine block drops down and out of site. Thats where your oil pressure sending unit is hiding. If you look carefully youll see a single brown wire going down that way that connects to the sending unit (you have to really climb in the engine compartment to see this).

5. savagek5diesel

cool, thanks alot. knowing where that is now.... What do you think is causing the low oil pressure on the gauge? bad sensor, bad gauge, loose sensor? i have a new oil pump just sitting in the garage, i was wondering if i needed to tac weld the pickup tube to it. i'm doin new oil pan gasket and crankshaft seals here perty soon, just want to get all my facts streight before it's torn apart.

6. DieselSub

DieselSub Registered Member

A simply mechanics rule is to fix the easy things first. Salt that with knowledge of what commonly goes wrong, and in your case the recipe is to replace the sending unit (easy to do, around $16 at Kragens) and see if the gauge starts reading correctly. My gauge shows 60-70 psi when cold and starting up, which drops to 40 with the engine warm and at idle. Danger low is 8psi, which is when oil pressure warning lights come on. If you're above 30 I'd feel safe, though many people claim to get by with 20+.

If after replacing the sending unit and confirming the wiring is working, next step would be to confirm the oil pressure. For this a mechanical gauge is relatively cheap and easy to install.

If the mechanical gauge confirms low pressure, then it's time to fix the problem: old/tired engine? plugged baffle on oil pickup? etc. Pickup the factory service manual and it gives you some nice diagnostic charts to help you through this...

Short answer to all this is: get the factory service manual