Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure switch nogo?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roadnotca, Jan 17, 2006.

1. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Scenario; new motor, I left off the OEM oil pressure switch cause I have a gauge. Is that switch a hard wire circuit to the ignition? I have exterior and interior lights but no signs of life at the dash or ignition/starter. 1985 with SBC350. At the same time, I found I had pinched the BATT (pink) lead between the motor and trans, causing a direct short; fixed that, no blown fuses or fusible links. At the same time, it has an old Viper from PO that resets when batt is disconnected, but now the remote control just flashes when prompted which I think means it reads the truck has no batt. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the oil press switch circuit leads to IGN3. Its looking more and more to me like press switch needs to be screwed in (ground) and connected (closing the circuit). I'll try the press switch solution tomorrow afternoon, sure would be fun if anybody else bin there, dun dat.:haha:

2. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

to eliminate the alarm under the dash there should be a relay spliced into the ign harness. pull the relay and jump terminals 87a and 30 if it starts the alarm is the problem.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oil pressure switch is for the choke only, if talking standard non-CA Quadrajet.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeow, I looked over the schematics, I see 30, thats the hot, but didn't see 87A. So I twisted down into the footwell to look, couple of aftermaket relay lookin things with the wires soldered-on? And there's a 1" black cube (relay) Potter & Brumfield with 87A & 30:bow: Use my dbldk 2 spade jumper to boink them females, still no ignition. So my friend, that wasn't it, and thanks Mr. Goodwrench; the greatness of CK5 in action. Ran outta time this PM to check oil press switch, tomorrow.
    Dorian, its an NA6 high altitude option, I'm guessing its neither CA or FED, but yea the circuit finally ends at the choke. The NA6 has a distinct choke element too, $55 at NAPA!:yikes:

5. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

not to insult you but is the main ground from the battery to block bolted on to an unpainted surface on the motor?

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

No, you're right, thats a common OSIF, and those connects haven't changed. I even cleaned off the paint at the trans interface per the lit. from GM that comes with the motor (10067353). As a sanity check, I'll put an OHM-meter to it. "It may look right", but I've chased down a BUSS fuse that fried down in the metal cap, out of sight, and the only way I found it was with a conn. check. I'll bet your customers don't really appreciate your diligence as a factory Tech. Thanks again man, I'll report back this PM.:D