Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pressure WHACKED!! HELP!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, Aug 10, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Well, fired the motor for the first time tonight... it started first turn of the key. BUT the oil pressure gauge is stuck way past 400 mark!! So my wife killed the engine right away. Even with the truck not running it's stuck at 400 as well as when I disconnect the battery!

Any ideas on what's going on???

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

400 PSI? Gotta be a bad ground. Hook up a mechanical guage. At least you have pressure.

3. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

When I got my '87 K5 the oil pressure guage was not working and I replaced it. Now it seems to constantly read around 40 to 60 and I suspect something may have gone awry during installation or that K5s in general have Oil Pressure Indicatior problems. Your debacle seems to substantiate my theory. At any rate, it could be that your indicator hose running from the engine to the Oil Pressure Guage is pinched or damaged-that will mess with it's accuracy.

4. BigBadJap

Does the pressure gauge not go back to 0 when the engine is off or the battery is disconnected?

I have to admit, I did drop the oil pressure sensor just before I installed it.. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif So it is possible it's toast, but I figured the gauge should at least go back to 0 even with a bad sensor.

Are there any special directions for installing the sender? Telfon sealant or no?

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'd day bad gauge or sender.

6. BigBadJap

Are there any known ways to test for a bad sender or gauge? I'd hate to have to replace stuff on a guess.

(Both worked fine before new engine install)

7. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Not wanting to replace the guage on a hunch is definately understandable! I do not know if there is a way to test them, but I do seem to recall reading that teflon tape around the threads where the sender enters the engine is a capitol idea.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

You got yourself a bad gauge there. I bet dropping it toasted it. Go to autozone and buy a new guage. That will fix it. Believe me, you cannot get 400 psi out of your engine. And if it doesnt go back to zero then its a bad guage.
    -Harrison

9. BigBadJap

Hi, I replaced the sender unit... Problem solved.

I read that if the gauge is wrapped to high side of the gauge when the key is out of the ignition, and won't return when you put the key in and turn it... bad sender - makes sense since I did drop the poor thing.