Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by OFFRDK5, Sep 14, 2004.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK. Seems I am having a small problem. My oil guage was reading right and I turned the rig on and the oil guage was reading really low. Checked the oil, it was fine. Had the oil changed. Didn't change the oil pressure at all. Figured it was the sending unit. Changed it. No luck.

Its reading somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 at all times. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Doesn't move anywhere else. Does this mean a bad guage? Or should I be looking at dropping the oil pan and doing some repair work there?

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Nah you should be fine, heck my new duramax only runs halfway up the scale at best.

3. OFFRDK5

But normally it runs from 1/2 to 3/4!!

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Did it just go down all of a sudden?? or gradually? still as long as it stays between 1/4 and 1/2 way up the gauge you will be fine.

5. OFFRDK5

I drove down the road, it was 1/2 to 3/4. Turned it off. Went in did my shopping. Came back out, fired it up, it then sat between 1/4 and 1/2. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had to swap out my gauge cluster because none of the gauges worked except for fuel. The oil pressure gauge was telling me I only had 5 psi of oil pressure max.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Swapped a new gauge cluster in and now the volts read at 13.5-14.5, temp reads about 190 ish and oil pressure runs about 30 psi for a low and near 60 psi cold.

I'd try a manual oil pressure gauge, or swap clusters.

Rene

7. OFFRDK5

Well, my fuel gauage don't work, speedo needle is gone, clock doesn't work, volts is fine, oil is screwed up, temp is ok. Is that enough to warrant a full replacement? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Just throw a mechanical gage on it, be easier and cheaper then swapping out the cluster, and itd be more trustworthy.

9. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if you need a new cluster i happen to know someone with two. they were from gas motor k5 and 1ton, but i would think they'd be the same. shipping and the price of a case of frosty mountain goodness will get it done if you're up for it. got a whole bunch of stuff i need to get rid of... beer money is still money!

10. OFFRDK5

I am thinking bigger. Alot bigger. Rip everything out. Take the body off. Put a new 6.2 in it. Lift. Tires. Cage. new Dash. New everything. Oh wait...I need money first eh!?!?!?

11. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Take out your instrument cluster (you can cheat the oil gauge by taking the dash off) and with a Q-tip and alcohol, clean the terminal contacts between the gauges and the green circuit board. You'll add lots of oil pressure without a rebuild, and you'll actually have to turn down your dash lights instead of wishing you had any at all.

Eric