Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil pressure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foolhardy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. foolhardy

foolhardy Registered Member

i have a 1989 chevy half ton with a 350 what should the oil pressure be im at 25 when im driving and 15 at idle this is with a mechanical gauge. could this be a bad oil pump

2. NewUser

NewUser 1/2 ton status

typical rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1000rpm the engine is running

my new crate engine with a stock oil pump in it idles in gear at operating temp at 45 psi and pegs out the factory 60psi gauge between 2500-3000 rpm

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My oil pressure runs a little low for my liking too, but it has never dipped below 10psi.

Oh wait it did yesterday! :eek1: After about an hour drive up the highway with no overdirve roaring at 3000rpm... My engine is getting pretty tired and needs an oil change so that might be part of it. So for now I threw in some Lucas and now the oil pressure is around 7psi higher than normal. But with normal use, the oil pressure is around 10-15psi at idle and 20-25 while cruising.

Also what kind of oil do you run in there and what is its viscosity?

4. dauntless_powered

dauntless_powered Newbie

i run 45 psi all the time

5. NewUser

NewUser 1/2 ton status

right now im running 20w50 store brand oil and filter in mine but that was only for breakin im going to change it next weekend to Royal Purple Synthetic 10w40 and an AC Delco PF1218 filter

6. dauntless_powered

dauntless_powered Newbie

that 45 psi is with my 305 and 10w30

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You have plenty of oil pressure.

And no, low oil pressure isn't generally caused by the pump. Its generally caused by bearing wear.

8. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

My 95 Grand Cherokee daily driver will Idle at around 10 psi when shes all warmed up, especially toward the end of the oils life. When the oil is cold the pressure is much higher. Since it has over 200K miles on it im not too worried about it. I've used Penzoil high mileage in it since I got it at 135k miles. Every once in a while I put a quart of lucas in it and usually thickens things up to give me higher pressure numbers. I do have to say though, when its hot as h*ll out here in Atlanta and im idlin at a stop light, im always lookin down at that pressure gauge ... hahaha