Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pressure

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer72, May 29, 2000.

1. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I changed out the oilpan and the oilpump today, I was opening to get better idle oil pressure, it was 10 to 12 PSI when the motor was up to temp. I wanted a better oilpan anyway. So I put in a high volume, high pressure oilpump and a 7 QT pan. Now I have 18 to 20 PSI at idle. What is the right pressure for idle, I do alot of my wheeling at or just at idle not at 3 to 4k likr some do. By the way at 1k its 25psi,2k its 38psi, 3k its 48psi, at 4k its 60 psi. So it seems right the rest of the time.

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

MY bLAZER RUNS AT 30PSI AT IDLE AND 40PSI AT 65 ON THE FRWY

3. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Just replaced Guage

Seems to run 15 psi at stop light(ie. in gear on brake) and 30-45 cruising,

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

4. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I heard a while back that 5psi is the absolute minimum a motor can ever have without damage. I assume this is at an idle with minimum stress on the bearings. High volume or high pressure pumps aren't necessary unless you:

1. Need the higher volume/pressure for racing applications

2. A vehicle under alot of stress ie: vehicles which tow heavy load and have an oil cooler.

3. Most performance marine engines.

4. An older engine which is suffering from low oil pressures, but this is a temporary fix you can't change fate.

Higher volume/pressure pumps rob horsepower and most of the time aren't needed. They also can shorten the life of timing chains (added resistance) and distributor gears.

Wasn't me.............

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Heard once you should have 10 psi for every 1000 rpms.Don't know if its true but seems too be the norm anyways.I think 15-20 psi at idle is plenty enough.

6. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm well off then, I idle with 25-30 psi of oil pressure. Then when I take off it's at 40-50. I have No tach, so no clue what pressure at what engine speed, but hey.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

10 psi per 1000 rpms is what my engines teacher told me. seems true so far. gm tested at higher rpms. at 2800 rpm there had to be 25 psi. or somthing like that. I can go into the attic and print the page, if it hasn't rotted away.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Well its going some were! SO to night I'm going to pull the motor and replace the bearings!