Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burban33, Mar 17, 2003.

1. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

I finally put in the sending unit for my autometer oil pressure gauge last night and something is a little weird. I couldn't put it in the same place as the stock sending unit because the only sending unit I can find behind the distributor has a 3 wire plug coming out of it. I put the sending unit in right above the oil filter. There was a little bolt plug that I pulled out and put sending unit in there. The problem is that I seem to only have 25psi of oil pressure. The gauge is acting like it should and it reads about 25psi at idle but it doesn't really move when I accelerate. It will move ever so slightly when I give it gas but it stays on 25psi???? My engine burns no oil and runs great. Is this not an ok place for the sending unit? Should I start looking into oil pumps?

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Mine is an 85 so it may be different but....

The fitting that holds the sending unit actually has 2 threaded ends to it. One has the sending unit and I have no idea what the other one does. I unscrewed the sending unit that I know for sure controlled the stock gauge and replaced it with the autometer 100 psi sender. My gauge (hith a hi pressure oil pump) will read close to 75 pounds of pressure at start up then drop to 50 pounds after it warms up for a while. After driving it a ways it will sit at 25 pounds whith the tranny in drive sitting in idle. When I accelerate it raised between 40-50 pounds.