Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pressure!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wally81k5, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

My gauge is toast i think, but where is the sensor or a 305 tbi? Is it behind the dist like my 90? I hahve heard of them being in the oil pan!>

Wally

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pressure sender is typically next to the distributor, although it can be right above the oil filter too.

Make sure the sender is the culprit before replacement. Grounding the sending wire with the key in the "run" position should peg the gauge past 60psi. (or 80psi if you have a 6.2 diesel. Not sure on the 5.7 diesels what the oil pressure gauge was)

3. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

you should have two sensors for Oil Pressure...but maby not
    --
    On a 350TBI from an 1987 Suburban I recently pulled for a friend, the sender for the Oil-Pressure-gage is near the oil-filter, the pressure-sender for the ECU that tells the Computer when the engine is running to turn on the Fuel-pump is behind the distributor... The Guage-unit is usualy the big Can type...The Fuel-pump one small...

NOw my 1989 454-TBI Suburban motor, which I pulled last summer and is on a stand in my garage, has a "combo" (pump and guage) pressure-sender, on an oil gallery tap on the left front of the engine...strange.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    NOw my 1989 454-TBI Suburban motor, which I pulled last summer and is on a stand in my garage, has a "combo" (pump and guage) pressure-sender

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that info, thats pretty handy. Gauges didn't change, so that means all of us with the two different senders, or those switching to fuel injection, can probably use that sender.

I'm assuming it uses one connector instead of two seperate ones?

5. mike727

mike727 Newbie

I am stumped with a similar problem. While the ignition is truned to the ACC mark, but the motor is not running, by disconnecting the sending unit wire near the distributor the Oil pressure gauge will max out at 60psi. You may have a short in the wire somewhere.
    Now, on my oil pressure gauge, before I turn the key to start my oil pressure needle will move to the zero reading, and while the motor is running the needle will slightly dance around the 30 marker at any rpm range. Have not been able to find the problem. Newer motor with 30k 350 cu. 4 barrel carb.
    Let me know if you find anything out.
    P.S. I have changed out the top senor near the distrib. but not the lower near the oil filter. Dashboard has been pulled and all the grounds I could find have been clean.
    Could this lower sensor be the problem? Am I missing a ground somewhere? Let me know.

Mike

6. dyeager535

Lower sensor is going to be an oil pressure switch, has nothing to do with gauge readings.