Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil problems and now running rough.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Jan 11, 2007.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well my 350 tbi in my 87 has been burning a good amount of oil lately. The oil pressure gauge will read about 30 pounds when the motor is first started and cold, but after it warms up the pressure will start to drop and bounce from 30 pounds when at cruise speed to the gauge reading zero when at a stop sign. When it is running you can see the smoke out the pipes from the oil and you can smell it to. I havnt seen any oil spots under the truck so i dont think its leaking. But i did an oil change about 2000 miles ago and have added a good amount of oil since then and its still low.

And tonight on my way home from work right when i got in the driveway it started chugging and almost stalling lights dimed ran like crap so i parked it and shut it off, but since the wind chill outside is -35 i dont feel like standing outside the garage looking under the hood.

Any comments? ideas? pads?

Thanks brad

2. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

my 87 started doing the same thing, i changed the oil pump (major PITA on that truck) now the oil pressure reads full all the time, and no more chug-a-luggin. But i also read on here that the distributor shaft can cause similar problems when it gets worn out. Maybe somebody who knows more about that will chime in, i could have interprited that wrong.

Oh yeah, i also have a leaky valve cover that was causing alot of my smoke and oil smell. leaked right down the exhuast mani.

3. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

If you are using that much oil, and it was all of a sudden, not gradually, I would see if your PCV is stuck, if it is sucking alot of oil, it could have fouled the plugs.

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well i just went outside and fired it up took a few seconds to turn over since it is -13 outside with a wind chill of -30. IT stumbled a little bit at first but after reving it a lil bit it smoothed out and i let it run for like 10 mins and it ran fine, so idk what happened to it last night. Im thinking about pulling the valve covers this weekend and seeing what shape the valves are in, and i might pull a few plugs and see what shape they are in- i replaced them when i bought the truck in september.

Brad