Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Puking on header???>>>>>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Gang
    Has anyone had this happen before?
    here's how it happens:
    Driving down the Hwy for long periods from time to time whiel keeping the RPM constant my rig will start belowing smoke out the back and then into the cab. Smells like freash burning oil, like when you acedently spill oil onto your headers when filling oil. Then it goes away, no more smoke. Maby 30min later POOFFFF PPEeeeeYYouuuuuu stinky, it does it again. After the road trip I look underneath and just the passenger side of the motor and chassis is coated with wet oil. You can see the burnt oil on the very front of the header tubes too.
    I thought maby it was the crank seal up front so I resealed the timing cover & seal, put in a new fuel pump and seal, tightend valve covers and all. then sprayed Gunk all over and cleaned the oil off. On my way to Hollister, Pooffff did it again /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    Can a cloged breather do this? The breather on the Pass side is at the back of the motor can oil migrate forward like that??
    I'm out of ideas and cannot locate were the oil is comming from??
    Any Ideas??
    thanks
    Burt

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bad pcv valve maybe?

Rene

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So is it true if a PCV rattels then it is still good or is that a myth??

4. tRustyK5

That is what I've been told...but it's only a $2 part so I usually just replace it anyways to be sure. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Rene

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

True! It has been a few yrs so I will start there...
    any other thoughts?
    I know it's a tuff question with out seeing the motor in front of you.... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. tRustyK5

Not really...I think you are on the right track from what I've read. A regular ol leak will leak all the time at a steady rate, but what you're describing sounds like crankcase pressure building up and forcing the oil past something.

Check the pcv line to the carb too, it may just be plugged and the pcv could still be good.

I guess one other possibilty is that the drain back holes in the heads are restricted and the oil is pooling gradually in the valve covers and getting over the top side of the gasket. Personally I think that is a stretch though...I'm sure you maintain your motor well enough that it wouldn't be a sludged up inside.

Rene

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too was thinking CCase pressure. I think I will replace the PCV hose too. It has been a while sence I had the covers off, maby for giggles I'll tear into it and slap on a freash set of gastkets to the covers before Moab /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    If I don't fix it I'll have to be the caboose in the caravan to Moab /forums/images/icons/grin.gif hehehe
    Thanks for your time Bro! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. tRustyK5

No prob dude...hopefully it is a real simple fix./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Have fun in Moab and have a beer for me!

Rene

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You got it Bro!
    Actually I think I'll slam two for you!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. tRustyK5

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

11. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

have an after market chrome breather valve cover cap ? even the better brands are notious for burping up oil on headers. possibley extend breather out and away from headers at an angle slighty, and problem solved. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes I did. Then I thought I would clean the oil out with carb cleaner and the spounge inside fell apart..daaaaa /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif oh well in the trash it went. I had a K&N valve cover breather that I got yrs ago and just never used it so I put that in the valve cover. I just got back from lunch and got new PCV & valve cover gaskets and another can of Gunk. Hopefully that will doit!
    Thanks!
    Burt

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Steve-
    Have you narrowed it down to the breathers?
    Do you have a Hi volume oil pump in your engine?
    For whatever it's worth,
    In my BBC camaro it gets a lot of oil to the top end of the engine...
    I had to put baffles inside the valve covers, and then get like 3" extention tubes with baffles in the tops of those, and K&N breathers on top.... And mine STILL spits oil onto the headers. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif When idleing for a long period of time, cruising on the freeway, or after i turn it off. PSSSHHHHHH. and a little puff of smoke sometimes.
    I'm considering replacing the extention tubes with some 90* AN fittings and steel braided hoses out of the valve covers to a breather canister... Like some dragster engines do.
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

KickA$$ motor bro!!!YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    I think it may have been the breather?
    I am gonna clean it all up this weekend and slap on a new set of valve cover gaskets. My valve covers do have baffels on them, the risers are a good idea.
    Where do I get a riser from? Homemade? Summit?
    Thanks Bro /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

My brother's Camaro does it when we race, it has a warmed over 396. It does it when he revs up to 6000 rpm, have to check the oil and adjust the valves every 4-5 1/4 mile runs /forums/images/icons/frown.gif