Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pump pickup installation (searched)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Jun 22, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I just bought a M55HV melling oil pump along with the melling pickup for my 84' 305. I am having trouble installing the pickup, I am trying to force it on but its not going on. Is there a method of doing this, a special trick or something, Thanks.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I had to use a brass hammer to get mine to go on (a melling)
    make sure you set the pickup depth up (I used my oilpan for a mock up) right and then tack arc weld with nickle rod the pickup to the pump... having this thing fall off into the oil pan does horrible things..
    If you absolutely have to you can use a torch to heat the pump body a bit but I dont recommend it...(you can also try freezing the pickup which might gain you a partial thousandth) and no water/oil quenching... just air cool it
    If this doesnt do it... exchange the pump

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Yeah, a hammer along with using a firm direct tone "Go on you damn SOB!" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif works great.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use an open end wrench that fits over the pickup tube and sits against the little ring thing that goes around the tube, then hit the wrench with a brass hammer till the pickup is in all the way. Then safety wire it to the pump itself to keep it from ever coming off.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Autozone will loan you the correct tool for installing the pickup tube properly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Other parts stores may also have them for loan.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I took a peice of metal plate and ground a little notch in it about the size of the tube (but smaller than the ring) and placed it against the ring and smacked er down.