Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Pump Priming

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Dec 18, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I have an oil pump primer, and attached it to an electric drill, now how fast do I turn the drill, and about how long should it take till oil is at the rockers ( i assume that is when it is primed) thanks. Chris.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just let 'er rip. It will really bog down a typical 3/8's electric drill. The best way to do it is to start the drill, let it run for about 20 seconds and then have someone turn over the engine by hand for 2 revolutions while the drill is still running. This will make sure that oil gets everywhere and will also put the engine rotation right back where it was when you started. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

And if it's pumping fast enough you should start to see some oil come out the push rods. What did that primer set you back? With my 406 I just welded another welding rod to a skinny piece of flat bar and stuck the welding rod in the chuck of the drill.

4. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

The following is a completely TRUE story that happened to me,,concerning oil priming,,read on:

I purchased thru my favorite Chevy dealer a brand new 454 H.O.crate engine. I brought it home put it on the engine stand,fit up all of the brackets,pulleys etc. Oh BTW,this is a complete engine carb to pan,water pump to flexplate.
    I fill the pan and prelube (on the stand) with my gauge
    attached, 1/2 inch millwalke drill motor spinning wide open and build about 20 lbs oil pressure,,seemed low so I contact Chevrolet,,The "Performance Group" tech tells me
    "theres no way your drill can build more oil pressure,just
    put the engine in and crank it up",,,So I did,,,when the
    engine fired the oil pressure went to 70 psi and then fell to 0 in 5 seconds,,,,I rechecked everything and fired the motor a second time,,,same thing,,no oil pressure.

I decided to pull the pan while the engine was still in the truck,,while trying to remove the windage tray to get the pan out of the truck my wrench slipped and fell inside the oil pan,,,I reached into the pan to retrive my wrench and guess what,,,a 6x6 piece of cardboard and plasticwrap sucked up against the bottom of the pick up screen. Remember this is a BRAND NEW ENGINE FROM THE FACTORY!!! I guess the whole point to this story is trust your instincts,,If you think there's a problem "pull the pan while it's on the stand". Sure taught me a lesson,,,

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

This is the one I bought here
    Its not a typical 3/8" drill lol, its Here is the drill im using Or does that drill just not spin fast enough?

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i used craftsman 1/2" drill that turns 1100 rpm. i was thinking about using my cordless (but it needed to be charged) until i did it it really bogged down the drill. it took about 10 minutes to get oil to all of the rocker arms /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i use an old distributor with the cam gear ground off and the guts ripped out. works nice and it was free /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I used an old Dist. with the gear removed to prime my 454...It took about 5 min or so to get the oil to the rear most rockers, about 10 min to get ALL of the rockers...You CAN'T over-prime an engine...Just prime the piss outta it and crank it over by hand a few rotations and prime some more...I primed mine a total of 25 min or so...

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

alright guys, thanks, ill get on it tomorow, the day is drawing near for my long awaited (atleast by me) 496 to breathe on its own /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

To prime the new 350 in my dad's pickup we just pulled the coil wire and injector connectors. Turned the engine over several times (1-2 seconds at a time) till the oil pressure gauge showed pressure. Connect the coil and injector wires and start it up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

It takes awhile to get the oil flowing well. 5-10 minutes when I used an old distributor and electric drill. If you used a good amount of assembly lube during the build you can get away without priming or little priming, like was said, turning over little at a time then connecting the coil wire.

Heres some good instructions for breaking in a new motor
    GM Engine Break-in Procedure

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

whoohoo got oil out of the rockers today, think i burnt the drill up though /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . Thanks guys.

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I smoked a drill priming a motor before. I think an air drill would be nice. Never tried it though. At least it wouldn't get so hot. One bad experience from priming motors, keyless chuck slipped and made metal filings fall down the distrib hole. OH NO>>>> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh we have an air drill but i was afraid of turnin too many rpm (its 10,800 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) if the primer slipped up at all i woulda had a stripped driveshaft lol.

16. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I guess with an air drill you should be able to just bump it or maybe a regulator...

17. edjolly

edjolly Registered Member

Put a crate motor in a "69 Chevelle for my sister once. Talked to my mechanic friend about priming etc. He told me pump up the lifters, and go ahead and adjust the valves as they were likely not adjusted proplerly from the shop. So, I primed and primed.... adjusted the valves and started the motor. It ran like crap, and gas leaked from every gasket in the carb. Damn cheap rebuild carb! Says I (I bought an AZ rebuild Carter). Replaced the carb. Same thing.

Long story short--prime until oil comes out the push rods. Valves were way too tight.

Ed