Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL PUMP!! WHICH ONE????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greg83k5, Dec 5, 2001.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

my engine guy said, 'go get an oil pump tomorrow.....

regular or high-volume??

of course high-volume sounds good, but are there drawbacks??

sombody who is well-versed in this department please drop some know-how on a brother!!

thank you,

greg

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Honestly, on a truck motor, a standard volume is all you need.

This is not an instance where more is necessarily better. A stock pump will take less horsepower to turn and is good to probably 400 HP and 6,000 RPM.

I have the high volume and I was thinking of taking it out. I really don't need it, it's a waste of power, and more oil volume/pressre is a good way to find all of your oil leaks very quickly.

Either way use the Fel-Pro 1 piece oil pan gasket. It's awesome, and it doesn't leak.

I have used both that one and the Mr. Gasket 1 piece. I've got the Mr. Gasket one right now. It was installed correctly and it leaks. Go with the Fel-Pro.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

Tim go to the chat room

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Gotta go with Tim on this one. High volume is great if you're running high tolerances on the crank main and rod bearings and needed to make up for the lost oil flowing past the clearances. Usually find this in a race engine that is turning high RPM's. Not needed on an engine with factory clearances and kept under 6000RPM. High volumes can suck the oil pan dry on 5-6 qt. systems running high RPM's. They also take considerably more horsepower to turn and apply more stress to the pump driveshaft. I sometimes run an engine at 35-3800 for 10-12 miles pulling my trailer up steep Canadian mountain passes and have never had a problem with oil supply or with stock oil pumps.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

5. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i was told some of the high volumes can be bad if you dont have a deep sump/winged oil pan cuz it throws to much oil to the top of the motor but starves the bottom end (or vice versa forgot which way it flows first) this came from the folks that built my motor and the hi volome they could order was way more expensive but they talked me out of it

6. ricka

ricka Registered Member

Hmmm, well despite what all the other posters have said, I love my high
    volume oil pump. Had it on my old 400 ci and put it on my rebuilt one
    as well. I run about 60 psi down the road and 30 psi at idle. I haven't
    had any problems with it, havn't seen any signs of abnormal wear top
    or bottom (it's definitely going to both places :-) and I guess I don't
    notice the HP drop others mentioned (it's all gearing, so the HP drop
    can't be that much). I believe having more oil floating around is a good
    thing. So I guess that's counterpoint to the other posts.

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630

7. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

I'll second that last one ...

I have an old, kind of tired, 87 305. With the stock pump I was getting 25 at cold startup, 10-15 warm and running, and sometimes as low as 0 idling in gear warm. With the new high pressure (and the same oil viscosity) I'm getting 60 at startup, 30 - 40 warm and running, and I haven't seen any lower than 15 idling warm. I haven't noticed a pwer loss (it actually wants to run better at warm idle ... since it has oil) and I haven't had any new seepage. A $20 investment that ups my warm and fuzzy factor that the motor isn't going to prematurely (166k) die before I can get my 383 w/ blower built.

The one piece felpro gaskets are the SH!T. that's the best deal I've seen lately. Completely sealed up my pan. While you're in there, change out the rear main if you can. Preventative maint.

8. ricka

ricka Registered Member

I don't understand your last comments. Are the one piece Felpro gaskets (blue plastic stuff)
    bad or good? I've heard nothing but good things about them and bought one for around $30
    the other day. The kits seems complete, with new bolts and the like. Shouldn't have to use
    any silicon except at two spots. I haven't installed mine yet, as I think I found my oil leak in
    one of the cooler lines versus the gasket. Time will tell :-)

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I too run a high volume oil pump on my stock 350. It is great!!!! I dont have a single leak on this new motor nor my old motor with the high volume pump. Horsepower loss? NONE. Nothing noticeable atleast. I mean come on, how much HP will a oil pump take anyways? If I can use a drill to prime the engine then the motor running will REALLY not lose anything turning the pump.

My 2 cents

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

10. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

I dropped my sbc 350 off at the machine shop Tue. and they told me not to get a high volume oil pump unless you are running a deep pan like a 7 or 8 Qt. They claim a high volume pump "can" drain the pan under high rpm operation.

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274

11. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

When using a high volume pump you need to have the oil drain backs in the lifter valley and heads opened up (requires grinding). This helps to get the oil back down to the pan. A good machine shop can do this and knows how much they can grind and still maintain the integrity of the block. On the one piece gasket, as far as I know, they only fit the thick front seal models and not the thin front seal models.