Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dutterback, May 10, 2000.

1. dutterback

dutterback Registered Member

Could anyone tell me how hard it is to change a stock oil pump to a high pressure pump? I have oil pressure problems and am looking for a quick fix. Would I be better off with a high pressure, or high volume oil pump? Thanks

2. River

River 1/2 ton status

If your engine is stock, i would`t go for the normal oil pump. I have put a high vloume oil pump in a stock 350 and now i have to over fill the oil level with 2 liters other wise it will pump air over 2500 rpm. High pressure oil pump gives you more pressure but it will only work for a short periode because if your oil pressure is dropping something in your engine is not right or it needs a rebuild high pressure pump will compensate that untill it reale breaks down.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River

3. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

If your preassure drops it usually means the main bearings are worn out. Replace them now![​IMG].It´s not expensive, only messy and generally a pain in the a$$

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I been down this road. Pump will not help the problem. New pump on mine did not help. Need new main bearings for sure.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

5. dutterback

dutterback Registered Member

Does the engine need to be removed to change the main bearings? Can a person do this job themselves?
    Why would the main bearings cause the pressure to drop? Thanks again.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nope it can be done with the engine in the truck if it's a 4x4. Drop the pan just need to get the crank to drop about a 1/4 inch so you and put them in. Will also need to pull the timing chain cover and take the chain loose from the cam. Messy job but not the end of the world. Might also concider putting in a new timing chain and front and rear (if 2 peice rear) seals. If your doing it alone it would be a good solid weekend of work.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper