Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil pumps...the life force

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBurban350, Dec 4, 2002.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Everytime I drive my truck I constantly look at my oil pressure to ensure I dont blow up my engine. My truck just turned over 150,000 on the orignal engine and I have doubts about how long that oil pump will last. I have consistant pressure at around 30 psi for the TBI350 on my 90' burban. I was wondering if anybodys oil pump went out at what mileage or some tell tail signs that it may go out. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've never lost an oil pump and almost everything I've ever owned has been high mileage.

New oil pumps are cheap and easy to replace though if it will put your mind at rest. As the motor gets older the oil pressure will drop off gradually as the bearings get sloppier. 10 psi per 1000RPM is the minimum, but i've owned a few small blocks that had less than that and continued to run fine.

Rene

3. I've got almost 110k more miles than you and still on my original engine and oil pump. It still holds about 60psi at highway speeds and I use 10W30.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's constantly immersed in oil, with relatively sane use, I don't see the oil pump *typically* failing before anything else in the engine. (does happen, its just not common, it's a simple gear on gear setup, same idea as the fluid pump in the tranny)

Bearing clearances will likely get excessive and you'll spin one of those before the oil pump gives up. Or valve seals will fail, or the cylinders will start losing compression, or the cam lobes will go flat, or the timing chain will get so sloppy it slips, and so on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif