Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unick, Dec 30, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I was just talking to my brother and he said I should put 7 qts in the engine and 1 in the filter. I thought it was 6 and 1.

LMK
    Nick

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

it all depends.. my truck has the extra capacity filter, and only takes 5 quarts of oil.. i say fill the filter, then 3.5 quarts in the motor, and check it

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Every small block with a stock pan that I have ever seen or delt with holds 5 quarts total w/filter.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

five total with stock pan, 6 and 8 cylinder engines, i thought everyone knew that gm are 5 quart engines ??

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

My oil changes are drain old oil, put on empty filter, dump in 5.5 quarts and go... 5 is never enough and 6 is too much.
    I use 5.5 and sometimes at about 2000-2500 miles I put in the other half quart.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, I thought thats what the dipstick was for? I can't understand assuming how much oil your engine should take...do people do the same things with transmissions??

two "stock" pans side by side

yeah, I think dumping oil in without (at least the first time, so you know how much it takes) using the dipstick is a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    five total with stock pan, 6 and 8 cylinder engines, i thought everyone knew that gm are 5 quart engines ??

[/ QUOTE ]

my 86 305 (bone stock, never had the valve covers off until i pulled them to regasket it at 114,000) takes 6 quarts with the factory recomended oil filter.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I thought thats what the dipstick was for? I can't understand assuming how much oil your engine should take...do people do the same things with transmissions??

two "stock" pans side by side

yeah, I think dumping oil in without (at least the first time, so you know how much it takes) using the dipstick is a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been putting oil in this truck for 15 years /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My '87 with 305 and the factory oil cooler takes just over 6qts total after an oil change.

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

My '82 takes just under 9 quarts on an oil change. I've got an aftermarket bypass filtration system and cooler installed. I've found that no two engines take the same amount of oil. I train my guys to fill the filter as much as possible before installation and to put the oil level in the add area of the dipstick. Once they run the engine and allow the oil to drain back into the pan after shutdown they top it off. It takes a little longer than the "preset capacities" but tends to eliminate the vehicle coming back to have more oil added.

I've always thought that checking the oil with a "stick" was a little primitive. Depending on how much the gasket at the top of the stick is worn or if the tube isn't seated properly could have an impact on the final reading.

11. Confedneck

thats why there is the "hashed" area on most dipsticks, or the space between the dots.. to allow for changes in gasket thickness, tube seating, etc..

12. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

If you think about it, once the gasket gets compressed the oil will be above the hashed "safe zone" on the stick when you fill to "recommended capacities". We send the vehicles out of the shop with the oil levels in the safe zone and within 1/8" of the full mark. It's still operational but as I said, may not be the same as the manufacturer's recommended capacity.

13. Confedneck

within that hash is the reccomended capacities.. if ya think about it, it seems to me that if the amount of oil had to be DEAD ON, everytime, there would be no room for fluctuations within bearing surfaces, gaskets or tubes like you mentioned, and oil would be sold by the vehicle, not the quart.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Confedneck

within that hash is the reccomended capacities.. if ya think about it, it seems to me that if the amount of oil had to be DEAD ON, everytime, there would be no room for fluctuations within bearing surfaces, gaskets or tubes like you mentioned, and oil would be sold by the vehicle, not the quart.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Did you even read my last post? I'm telling you how I do something simple like check the oil. I didn't say it had to be right on the mark but should be pretty close (1/8"). I thought I was pointing out that there are different things that impact the reading on the stick. Sorry if you were taking it personal, that wasn't my intention... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

My burby takes 5.5 quarts with a new filter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Overfilling is bad