Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil sender above oil filter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddin_Mavric, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

I was trying to get my oil preasure gauge working on my 83 blazer with a 305 that i just bought but i was trying to change the sender above the oil filter and have since found out that thats the wrong one so today i will go get the right one and try puting it in by the distributer. Well any ways how many prongs should the sender above the oil filter have? The one that i put in has 2 prongs like a plug you put in the wall and so did the one that was in their. but on the plug their is 3 wires and on the plug their is a hole that looks like it has a metal contact in their inbetween the to plug holes.

Should the sender have another round pin inbetween the to flat ones or is their only 2 flat ones? Right now the choke dont seem to work right and as i understand thing thats somewhat controlled by this sender.

thanks for any help you can give me

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.com

2. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

No it should only be two prongs. I believe the dark blue wire is fused 12VDC coming from the firewall connector. The other two wires are spliced together in the plug, one goes to the choke and the other goes to the choke light in the dash via the firewall connector. So if you think about it the choke light in your dash is also a dummy light for oil pressure. Because if that light is on while the engine is running then there is something wrong with the circuit/switch or your oil pressure is to low to close the switch. No I do not know what the pressure needs to be to close the switch. Does anyone here know?

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I think mine only has one.

4. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

Thank you very much for the help i have been kinda busy and have not been on here in a little while.

I replaced them both and now my choke lite wont come on ocationaly any more and my oil preasue gauge works but just reads really low.

when its cold it says 14 to 15 and warmed up about 10 to 12 and when i spet on the gas it moves a little bit but when we had the mechanical gauge it read 40 at idle so i might try hooking up a differnt gauge some time cause my uncle has one.

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.com