Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil sending unit pipe leaking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Dec 14, 2002.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I need help on trying to tighten the brass colored pipe at the rear of the block that the oil sending units are attached to. I have been wondering why I smell burned oil shortly after start up and discovered that this brass colored pipe is loose, and I can't tighten it enough to keep it from leaking because the sending units hit up against something preventing it from turning. I think I am going to have to remove the sending units, tighten the pipe, then re-connect the sending units. The problem is I can't get at this stuff because of other things in the way. Any way to get at the sending units and pipe without removing a ton of stuff.......Thanks

1985 Full size, 305 motor, 700r tranny

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

There are two ways to deal with this. The first is to do it right and remove all the garbage in the way and build a taller stem like you said, or take some solvent, cleaner, I use 409, and spray the base where it threads into the block. Use q tips or whatever and get rid of all the old oil and grime and grit then silicone it. I had a bad oil leak in the back of my intake manifold. I REALLY didn't want to remove it so I gooped the bejeezis out of it. It lasted 2 yrs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Hate it when that happens, especially without a body lift. Pull all the crap out and fix it...you'll sleep better. Are you sure it's just not the oil-pressure sending unit? They tend to pop after so many years (twice in ten years for me). I'd replace it for the $19-20 while you're in there.

4. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jimmyjack and Rogerwilco71,
    It is leaking where the pipe goes into the block. I turned it as much as I could (a quarter of an inch) before it hits ups against something and it still leaks. It's off to Napa I go to get everything so I can do it right....thanks again.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

might as well convert to mechanical while youre back there anyways, dont have to have tall stem for that and can tighten it up all you want, i just converted my 81 over to mechanical when i swapped in the 350 engine

good luck