Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil sending unit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mccomas, Jan 1, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

my oil pressure sending unit has been bad for some time. today when i pulled my radiator i thought it would be a good time to find and replace the sending unit. i have my air cleaner out and i am setting right on top of my engine. i can not find the oil pressure sending unit - where is it? i have a 95 gm goodwrench motor (350) in my 86. someone point me in the right direction and give me a description of what to look for. thanks....

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

As far as I know they are right next to the distributor on the back of the engine.

At least thats where it is on both my 87 and 94. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yup. It's on the driver's side of the distributor. It's about 2-3" long, is cylinder shaped, and should have either one or two wires coming of the top of it.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

actually theres 2 sending units, not sure which you want, but, one is on the side of the block on the drivers side and the other is on the back of the manifold. (I think thats where they both are, seems like it)

5. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i must have my head up my ass - i spent 20 min looking and do not see it. i will go back out in the morning when it is good and bright outside...

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look nearly under the distributor. The sender screws into the very back edge of the engine block. There's a notch in the rear edge of the intake manfold to clear the sender.

Some rigs also have an oil sender on the side of the block, just above the oil filter.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

When you find it, disconnect the wire, and ground it. (with the key in the "run" position)

Pretty hard to know it truly is the cause when you don't even know where it is.

8. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i really do not know what i am looking for. this is the only item near my distributor. any help would be greatly appreciated...
    [​IMG]

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that bellshaped item in the middle of the pic is it. 1/8 NPT i believe..

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats it. The piece on the left on that "T" is the oil pressure switch for the electric choke on carbed vehicles, or the switch for the fuel pump on TBI trucks, while the piece on the right (kind of gold in color) is the pressure sender for the gauge.

Pull the wire off the back with the key in "run" and ground it. The gauge should peg out. When you disconnect it, I believe that will send it to 0. You could also hook up a multimeter to it, and watch the resistance as engine RPM is changed, but I doubt that's necessary.

What exactly does or doesn't the oil pressure gauge do? It really is a waste to replace these things if they aren't bad. I think the wiring or gauge is just about as likely to be messed up as the sender is, and none are very likely, just it does happen.

I thought my sender or gauge was bad (fluttered pretty bad when the engine RPM was decreasing) and I swapped in known good pieces of both instead of troubleshooting. It was the engine that was the cause.

11. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the help - i probably should have done some better troubleshooting instead of swapping parts; however, i got lucky. replaced the sender and my gauge is now working. now its time to tackle the temp gauge...