Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil smell in passenger compartment

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ccjking, Oct 22, 2002.

1. ccjking

ccjking Newbie

I have a 92 GMC 3/4 ton 4wd. There is a constant smell of gearbox/hypoid oil in the passenger compartment that I can't get rid of, and I can't identify how it is coming into the interior. The engine compartment is clean, and free of oil, and I have tried moving the breather hoses around on the transmission, transfer case, and differentials. The smell is very noticable while driving with the windows open, but hard to locate when the vehicle is stationary. Anyone else run into this problem?

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

How long have you owned this vehicle, has the smell been there ever since you got it? If something was spilled in the front floor area, especially the passenger side, and it gets under the mat or carpet and into the padding underneath, the heat from the heater or exhaust under the cab can make the smell more noticable when driving. A leaking heater core can soak the padding and the smell will be there long after the core is changed.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Dont know how oyur tranny works, but maybe it is over filled or there is a bad seal on the top of it, causing the smell to come up thru the shift boot? Thats kinda a shot in the dark, but thought i'd offer it

4. ccjking

ccjking Newbie

My first thought was that it might be coming up through the shift boot also, but I am pretty sure that is well sealed. I have owned the vehicle for about 7 years, and have checked fluid levels everywhere. No leaks, no over-fills, no spills. It's a mystery, but thanks for the ideas.