Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil smoke 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Feb 5, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

howdy, ive got an 82 1 ton dually van here with 350 that had thrown a pushrod and lifter out of its bore, so i had to remove intake and replace all lifters and rods, it has a deal where it will puff out big cloud of blue smoke on a rev up and then go away as rpm slow back to idle, and if you hold pedal down it wont smoke except a teeny tiny bit, but when you let off the pedal to return to idle a puffcloud of blue will come out and thne go away.

got to be either valve guides shot or something like that and not rings or it would do it all the time i would think, and couldnt be hole in mod valve cuz would do it under high manifold vacuum at idle only.

it only smokes coud at rev up or slow down only not at sustained idle or high rpm

what does anyone think ?

thanks

2. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

You just removed the intake and then the oil burning started?
    What about an intake manifold leak?

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i suppose is possible, but i did a very neat and careful job of installing intake and gaskets, i used RTV black all four corners and across front and rear and tacked the gaskets in place and everything, i really cant see how any leak can be occurring there, is stock iron 82 q jet intake

thanks for anything further

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The temp 350 motor I put in my Orange Blazer has valve guides going out on the drivers side head.

I had to put 2 quarts in this morning, and as I was driving around my college campus today, I was smoking everyone out with blue smoke out the drivers side exhaust.

The tailpipe on that side has a thick black coating in it from all the oil. I already had to replace the plugs on the one side within a month of running it.

How clean do your plugs look? And the tailpipe?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I second your guess at valve seals

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it does kinda make sense to be stem seals since at higher R's the extra oil pumping to top of head would probably go right down guides and sucked into combustion chambers, and if was rings bad then would do all the time especially when hot, but it mainly does it when cold and only with rpm change and then quits doing it

plugs typical oily tipped,

thanks guys

7. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Valve seals are a cheap and easy replacement, try it and see if it helps. I think I spent $10 and a day replacing my seals on my old truck.... cut oil consumption drastically.... down to 1/2 quart every 100 miles. The engine was toast, smoked like a bitch but was strong like bull!