Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil spots in the driveway from the Blazer, what to use to clean them?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey, my K5 is marking it's territory all over my girlfriends driveway. The thing of it is, her parents are going to freak out over this because the driveway was only put in about 1 year ago and they helped pay for it.

Whatwould you guys use? I was oging to try carb cleaner, brake cleaner or Works(with Hydrochloric acid), but I wasn't sure if these would harm her concrete driveway..

Anyone???

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There's this orange based citrus cleaner out that my father-in-law used and he said it worked great. So great that now he has to do his whole driveway because it's got a bunch of clean spots on it now /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . I don't remember what it's called, but it's 100% orange based, nothing else in it. I've also heard of people using Coke to clean spots, but I don't know if it works or not. </font color>

3. Emmettology 101

Is ti that new Orange Clean stuff that wa son info-mercials and is now availabel at Wal-Mart? If so, my g/f has some and I will try it tonight! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks!

Then I am goign to get a large piece of cardboard and a few bricks and put it under the truck each time I park it there to reduce further cleanings! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't know if it's that Orange Clean stuf, but if it's from Wal-Mart probably not... I think he bought this stuff at a car show somewhere. Great stuff, took red wine out of a white carpet too /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif </font color>

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

My wife bought this stuff called "Greased Lightning" at one of the dollar stores here, and it took oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and gear oil off my driveway. Also took a bunch of mud out of a pair of jeans I had thought I'd ruined. Cheap, too. I think it's like $3 a bottle.

John

6. Emmettology 101

Ah, that is good [censored]! I forgot about that stuff!! I used to clean my floor mats with that and they would come clean so easily! Off to wal mart I go! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

If all else fails, use muriatic acid "can be bought a home depot, lowes" a presure washer and a stiff bristled scrub brush on a stick. It will get rid of the oil for sure. If you use card cleaner, brake cleaner, laquer thinner, all it does is brake up the oil and lets it seep deeper into the concret.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Get some oil dry (or non clumping kitty litter) and let it sit on there for an hour. Sweep it up. Then put some simple green on there and hose down the drive way and it'll prolly come up. A freind of mine's parents are extremly anal about their driveway. Usually, if it's fresh the oil dry will get it up, but if it doesn't, the simple green will get the rest.
    Simple green smells good too /forums/images/icons/grin.gif It will leave their driveway fresh and clean /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    The carb cleaner will leave a stain (that's my experiance anyway).

9. Emmettology 101

I put some kitty litter down on the original spots, but haven't sweeped it yet. Hopefully, they will be gone.. None of them are more than a week old, so maybe they'll all come off pretty easily.
    I am goign to get a large piece of cardboard and lay it down whenever I park in the drive way to prevent this down the road.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I LUV simple green. Used it to clean under the k5 the first time I went mudding and after I was done cleaning I could see shiny paint in most places /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

I've used all of the above. But a cheap one nobody has mentioned is Dish soap (Dawn, Joy, etc.). It worked great on some asphalt, but I haven't tried it on driveways. Plus, the runoff won't piss any neighbors off.

12. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Bix driveway cleaner and a Bristle brush on a pole, cause who wants to bend over?? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I used the Bix to degrease my frame when it was out of the truck, its biodegradable, My Dad carries it at his True Value, so im sure you could find it at similar stores.

13. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

My wife's parents were fliping out about a few oil drops in the road infront of the house. now i have to put cardboard down too. Freaking inlaws /forums/images/icons/mad.gif , at least i get to sleep with their daughter /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

park in the street!!!

15. Emmettology 101

That is where the heft issue comes into play. I dont have much stuff in there to steal except my Rubbermaid tub with spare parts and a spare tire, but I have been parking in the driveway so as not to take the chance.

I used some Dawn last night, but I didn't have a good scrubber, so I am goign to stop at Lowes tonight and get one....

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mike, try oven cleaner...spray it on, let it soak for half an hour or so, and rinse it off. You could use a small finger brush it the stain is a little stubborn.

Rene

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Kitty litter works real well. If your in a hurry, so does gasoline.

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

tide podered laundry detergent, sprinkle it on good and put a little water on it so its a like a thin paste then scrub it around with the broom. hose it off and wholla! keeps my wife off my back, and its cheap.

hope it helps

nathan

19. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I've used TIDE(spring scent, for a fresher driveway /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) and heard that oven cleaner works.

ARQ.