Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil/tem gauge problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82454burb, Jul 7, 2002.

1. 82454burb

82454burb Registered Member

hey everyone first post.This site is wonderfull.
    I just put my rebuilt 454 motor back in the truck (82 2wd)after sitting for a year. The problem is the oil pressure gauge is almost pegged, all of the time. The gauge does move slightly when you start the truck. Also the temp gauge seems to be running higher then before. Both worked perfect when the motor let go. Other than the grounds where should I start.
    Thanks

2. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem when I put a crate motor in my 89 pickup. The oil psi is always pegged andeven at idle it is reading high.

the temp guage is also reading high, but i am running a little hot, but not as much as the guage said.

I think it's the sending units I got from napa. Not to say anything bad about napa, i love that store, but those are the type of things toget from GM.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Do the gauges drop when the truck is shut off? My oil pressure gauge stays at the top at idle, then pegs out w/ the slightest push on the loud pedal.

My temp gauge has never worked, so I have a little temp gauge mounted under the dash for now till I do a full Autometer set up.

4. 82454burb

82454burb Registered Member

The temp sender is the factory unit. The oil pressure gauge is pegged with the truck off or with the oil sender disconnected.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Id bet to say that the gauge itself has gone bad. Try getting a set of gauges from the auto parts store to at least to monitor the engine until you get it figured out or replaced.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have an electrical gauge then the wire is grounded somewhere for it to read full pressure all the time, start chasing the wire and find out where it is grounded.