Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OIL TEMP....anybody check it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I have been fighting a over heat problem. I had bought a Tranny temp gage and the drain plug on my 454 is the same size as the adaptor for the sender so I also wired it up.

What's normal oil temp? I hope to god this gage is inacurate because I was running 300 degrees of oil temp on my way to work if it was acurate.

I felt the cooler lines and 300degrees should have blistered me an that cooler was no where near 300. it was warm but it leads me to wonder if thermostat deal is not working for the oil bypass. I have read that it does not circualte to the cooler till the oil hits 180. That's fine and I understand why, I would like to see this thing stay around 250 max. They want over 200 regularly to cause any moisture in the oil to become vapor and exit the crank case via the PCV.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nope, never checked it. Have access to one of those infrared thermometers? (man that'd be fun to have)

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The Vette oil runs about 215 when the coolant temp is 200.

That might help as a reference. And the Vette is known for its 'hot' running conditions.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't checked either of my Chevys, but I do have a oil temp gauge on my Pete. It normaly runs between 150-180 and the highest I've seen it get was 200F. Now the RTO15715 trans I've seen get to 240F.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

With a Stone cold engine the gage was reading 180. So only 100 Degrees high LOL.
    Need to figure out if it's the gage or the sender and exchange it LOL.