Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil temp guage... Blazer -88

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xswede, Aug 10, 2003.

1. xswede

xswede Registered Member

The oil-temp guage needle on my Blazer -88 vibrates for about two seconds every once in a while. What could be the cause of this and is it a problem I should worry about? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Oil temp? Never seen oil temp. Sounds like something I would like to have. Or maybe would've liked to have had last summer /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. xswede

xswede Registered Member

Maybe it's the oil pressure guage then... Yep, that's what I mean... Sorry!
    Dan

4. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Well it doesn't sound like your oil pressure sending unit is bad because when mine went bad it just showed zero oil pressure and didn't vibrate. What kinds of readings are you getting from it? Worse case scenario- need new gauge. LMC has them for $55 a peice (part #36-1980). And of course any autoparts store sells oil pressure sending units.

5. xswede

xswede Registered Member

I'm getting normal readings from it, it's just the vibrations every once in a while... Strange!

6. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

hmm, that might be a sign that your sending unit is going bad. Autozone sells them new for $17. Maybe try replacing it (Autozone lists it as an oil pressure switch) and see what that does. If that doesn't fix it, then I don't know.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Does it fluctuate when the throttle changes? Sounds like it's just random, but my oil pressure gauge really bounces around when throttle position changes. That, coupled with the noise coming from the engine, seems to indicate a loose timing chain.

Dunno for sure though.