Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil temp sender

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89Jimmy, Aug 25, 2001.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I got a box of used gauges at an auction. There is an autometer mechanical oil temp gauge that I'd like to put in the '85. Do I need to pull the oil pan and install the sender in the sump or is there a spot on the 350 block to accept a sender? I'm open to suggestion. Thanks.
    John

So MUCH to do, So LITTLE cash.

2. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Why not "T" off the oil pressure sender? Just a thought.

Ron

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I agree with Ron. That is the best way to do it.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Putting a T in the oil passage where the orginal oil sender is located is what I have always done too. That way you have a working orginal guage or idiot light, and the mechanical guage too.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=orange>Charter Member of The Too Much Fun Club</font color=orange>

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input, but I don't see how putting a tee into the oil pressure galley will help me. The sender is 1/2" npt x almost 2" long and I would assume needs to be in direct contact with flowing oil. Thanks again.
    John

So MUCH to do, So LITTLE cash.

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I believe that the SBC has a pipe plug above the oil filter that allows you to use the 3/8" fitting form autometer. You may need to call autometer and ask for the P/N. They sent me mine free of charge. That is what I did on my BBC. This set up gets the temp probe into the oil flow (forget which direction) near the filter. It does not restrict the oil flow. I'm sure that it reads a few degrees different than what is in the pan but it allows you to do a clean install and monitor the temp.