Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil temp sending unit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, Sep 3, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a good location to throw one it without having to drill my pan? Anyone have an oil temp gauge...if so where? Pics? I was looking at the plug just above the oil filter...good spot? Digging back into engine soon and would like to install it finally. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would *think* that pan would be the best place to measure, but I dunno. Curious to see what others say...at least with the pan, probably less likely to get heat conducted from the block, such as would be the case near the oil filter, etc. At least that would be my reasoning. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Years ago I had one that replaced the drain plug. Worked pretty well I guess. Never cooked a motor so.....

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would suspect for those that are hardcore (or maybe not) there is some concern that something hanging off the bottom of the pan could be snagged and broken off by something as simple as a stick thrown up by a tire.

That would be my suspicion anyway.

5. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

That is why I dont want to replace the drain plug with it, ripping off is good. I would like to keep it concealed as much as possible, but it is looking like i have to remove and drill the oil pan to do that. Unless there are more ideas???

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

You could weld a fitting on the side of the oil pan. At least it wouldn't be hanging right down.

What about using one of those oil cooler assemblies. It bolts between the motor and the oil filter and then has two fitting on it to run oil out to the cooler and then back into the motor. could you adapt one of those to work somehow.

-Chris

7. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

WHen we install superchargers at my shop, almost all of them have return oil line that has to go into the oil pan. the easy trick to doin it is you take a punch and puncture a hole in the oil pan, (drain oilfirst and try to stay close to the botom to avoid contact with anything inside). Push it through far enough so that it will be possible to run a tap in and tap the metalthat was pushed thru. it works real good.be sure to put grease on the tap and dont make the hole 2 big /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. muddinallday

muddinallday Registered Member

use one of the remote oil filter relocators either the single or the dual will work. thats where i have mine and ive never had a problem, 2 1/2 yrs now. and makes oil changes faster and easier. you'll have to take the gage down to ace hardware or somwhere like that to get all fittings you'll need (brass fittings) piece it together so that it forms a "T" oil runs through the base and the sensor goes in the leg. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif