Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chewy, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

Ok, I know this may sound like a stupid question, however, I know a lot of you guys are mechanics or work at parts stores so I would value your opinion. What is the best kind of oil to use? Not necessarily weight but actual brand.

'87 Beast

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I prefer Castrol, or Valvoline, I use 20/50. Someone told me that Pennzoil has wax in the oil, however I read an article that said that all oils have wax in the them. Supposidly Pennzoil builds up in the motors more. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I run valvoline in my Blazer and mobil in my s-10.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I used to run Castrol all the time until I found out it has the highest ash content of most of the oil out there.

SO now i run Mobil in my Jimmy and Mobil 1 in my Probe.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My chemistry teacher back in high school used to work at some testing facility for oils. And me and some of the other car guys asked him about automotive oils. He said that they did bunches of tests and that Quaker State on average came out on top. I've been using it ever since and I like it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I remember reading an article about 5 to 8 years ago about how different oils held up. I think is was consumer reports running the test (not sure at ALL). The test consisted of running some (I recall the # 50) cabs in New York City, only changing the oil ever 7000 miles(I think) for 80k miles with all different brands of oil. The after the test the took all the motors apart and compared them all. The analyses of the motors was that they all had real close usage. I do not think that there was any one oil that stood out. I would think that running a test like that on NYC cabs would be a good test. My conclusion would be that any oil would be great for your K5. If your using it as a MUD DOG or a OFF-ROAD KING, you might want to change your oil ever 1500 to 2500 miles. My daily driver I change mine in the summer about ever 2500 (pulling a boat) in the winter about ever 3500. That test I was talking about was also on 20/20 or dateline about the same time. Last, the test was not only normal oils but also synthetic oils as well. Keep in mind, I don’t total recall everything and not sure if numbers are correct, however I know the results of the test are right.

Hope it helps

Check out my pics of BIG COX @

Brettmcox.coloradok5.com

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Don't remember the name of the stuff, but someone on this board posted a heck of a lot of GREAT information about all the oils. Do a search for "best oil" or something like that or just manually look back a few pages. DOn't think any of the "name brand" oils were at the top of the list.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If I remember well, Mobil1 and Mag-Hytec were among the best oils.

In my opinion, Mobil 1 has to be a good oil, since the newest Corvettes have stamped on the valve covers "Use Only Mobil 1 oil". That's what I'm using now.

I think that just as important as brand is how often you change your oil. Always change your oil filter too.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have always used Castrol GTX 20w-50. I have gone winters and summers using the stuff. I love it. My engine always starts. I spent three weeks in Maine two years ago with my blazer, not a single problem starting in the cold & snow.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

A member named "oilman" had lots of info about oils. I believe he was an engineer of some sort. If you search this forum for the word "Amsoil" a few months back, you should find a really long thread with more oil info than you could shake a stick at.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

12. 89GAK5

89GAK5 Registered Member

i used castrol 10w 30 for 11 years.218000 miles on her before she give up.she started smoking some.it was the drain back holes were stopping up.but she finally give up.i now have a new factory/crate GM 350.im putting the same in it.218000 miles ain't bad.i changed oil / filter (fram)every 5000 miles.mine is a daily to and from work- 23 miles one way.they add up fast. it's a personal prefrence only.for now i staying with it.

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I put only Pennzoil 10w-40 and a AC Delco filter in mine.

90K5

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I use Valvoline or Mobil and a Purolator(sp?) filter.

[​IMG] YEEEE HAWWW!!! [​IMG][​IMG]