Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rich01, Apr 4, 2003.

1. rich01

rich01 Registered Member

do diesel trucks need need special oil or can you just use oil for normail gas engines?

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Diesel engines must use oil rated for diesel use. The latest rating is CI-4. Usually the diesel oils are rated for both with an "S" and "C" ratings, while gasoline oils usually only carry the "S" ratings. The "C" stands for compression ignition (diesel) and the "S" stands for spark ignition (gasoline). Look for the ratings in the little API circle or on the back of the bottles. A lot of people, including myself, like to use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 oil. It's designed for diesel engines, comes in handy 1 gallon containers, and is available at Wal-Mart.

Casey

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

yea i use Penzoil 15w-40 Heavy Duty, $21 bucks a case!! good stuff

4. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i prefer Delo 400. it is also 15w-40. its failry cheap, availible and costco and walmart by the case.

5. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

dunno what mark it is but i'm using an SA3 10W-30 oil due to the large temperature differences here. Last winter it was -20 degrees (centigrade) here. On the other hand, in the summer it can be up to +25 degrees (centigrade)

<font color="purple">Drive a diesel - Be happy</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="red">DieselFreak</font> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif