Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oilpan mod

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4_76, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Has anyone done mods to their oilpans to keep oil pressure when driving down on steep hills? I've lost pressure on couple of occasions and it sounded really nasty!

Once I got Blazer's rear wheels up in the air and ended crashing to a big rock. I had to shut down engine when I saw the oilpressure light coming on.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know of anyone that has but I have another diesel (perkins) that has a mod that realy works, the pan is flat with the hump being added and a small hole for the pickup of the oil pump going thru the bottom of the first pan.
    the addition on the bottom will have oil even at 45 degree angles.
    I have tried it at 45, I didn't dare try it further fearing a roll over :D
    I will probably end up doing a similar mod to my 6.2l when I want to make it off road worthy.

I will try and take some pics and make a diagram of what I am talking about

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Found this from Summitracing:

[​IMG]

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D23900&N=700+%2D115995+115&autoview=sku

Just replace that ball valve with solenoid valve which is wired to oil pressure switch. Oil pressure drops, switch activates the valve and accumulator pushes oil to gallerys. Also would be nice add when starting cold engine.

But, I still need to pull the pan off to check internals before dropping the engine to 'Burban, so that would be a good time to redesign the pan.

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Interesting idea with the Moroso. If you do it let us know how it works out:D

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Actually, there was an article in 4WOR couple of years ago. They mounted similar system to Jeep Wrangler. That's were I got the idea

edit/ Found it: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/3282/