Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oily clothes in washing machine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 13, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have had the overalls soaking for 1 week in a water/ammonia solution. Will the oil come out and stain the white washing machine? If it does, how do I clean it off? I really need to clean the overalls soon. I just dont want to wreck anything.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah it will leave a oil stain/ring in the machine. Don't do it (ask me how I know):D It is hard to clean. I get a bucket and soak them in degreaser then take them to the laundrymat.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Are you worried aboot the inside of the machine?

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's why i take my shop rags to the laundromat, LATE at night.

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Believe me it is WORTH the roll of quarter at the laundramat

6. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For stuff that's lightly greased I use dawn. It works great and it doesn't sud up too much. Of course, I bath with it from time to time so take it for what it's worth.

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

just use a good powder detergent, and a cup of ammonia, that's all I do. Wash them by themselves, and try using cold water first.. I've found that hot water makes the stains take a set almost immediately, and you'll never get the stain out.

Tom

8. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Hand degreaser (like Gojo) works great on oil/grease stains in clothes. Learned that little trick from an old-time mechanic I know. Just rub it in the spots, pop it in the washer and walk away. For heavily oiled clothes or rags, ya hit the laundromat, that's pretty much standard operating procedure. :D

9. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Registered Member

I dump a bunch of Simple Green in the machine. Works great.

10. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

there is this stuff called lestol that we get, its yellow in color.. pour it on the oil and scrub at it for a few, let it soak for a lil while then just throw it in.. works great for tan pants that look black.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup...

I use "Lestoil" too,its a petroleum based solvent with a "pine tree" scent..its good for greasy hands too,but a bit rough on the hands and cuticles--works great though!..the "Go-Jo hand soap trick works too,but it can clog up filters and leave a "ring" in the washer drum..gets grease out good though..NOTE:--women seem to HATE the smell of it,so I'd avoid using "mom's" washing machine with Go-Jo...:rolleyes:

If my overalls get really greasy and nasty,I soak them outdoors in a 5 gallon plastic pail in the sun with lestoil for a few days,then hang them on a line,and blast them off with the garden hose--then wash them in the washer machine as usual with detergent,that way the lestoil doesn't end up in everyones clothes..

The ideal setup is to have an old washer and dryer right in the shop,so you could toss nasty clothes right in,and not get the grease in the house..of course,a shower in the shop would be nice too!..and a bathroom..kegarator..etc...:D

If they get real dirty,sometimes I take them to the cleaners and have them dry cleaned...NOTHING beats that for getting grease,oil,and diesel smell out of your clothes..I think they use carbon tetrachoride or something..smells just like brake cleaner!...its fairly expensive though,so I use dry cleaning only to "save" a good coat I greased up unintentionally,etc..:crazy: ..

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats right the laundrymat.:laugh: just like a rent a car, it isn't yours so wash it like its stolen.:haha: :haha:

13. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I use oileater degreaser on my really greasy carhart overalls or jeans and it works great . I will wash my shop towels with my oily clothes . I just spray them down with the full strength That I have in a spray bottle and add 1/2 cup to the washwith the regular amount of laundry soap and wash warm . My next load of clothes will be my jeans . I have never had a problem with grease in the washer . If I have to do really greasy stuff I use the blue paper towels and rags and they get tossed in the trash . I have used the Castrol super clean and it works almost as good as the Oileater . great for driveway stains if you let it sit for awhile and then hose it off .

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

One thing to remember a lot of new detergents are to be used with cold water. I watched a program about a year ago where these smart science guy's went to like the deepest coldest part of the ocean and got some DNA stuff from some fish and some how figured out how to make laundry soap work better in cold water. Myself I'm trying to figure out how to make beer stay colder longer:D

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Everyone needs to wash all their oily and dirty stuff in their washers . And leave the screws , lockwashers , and change in your pockets too .

I love selling people hoses , pumps , and tub seals :thumb:

16. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Run 'em through the dishwasher

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll wash them in the sink then maybe to the laundry mat, although I don't know where any are here...

18. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

pressure washer works good after a simple green soaking,,,

19. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Add 1 cup of simple green to the washer when you run it through. Works like a charm.